What is the Average Monthly Weight Gain for a Baby Over a Specific Time Period?

In summary, the weight chart provided shows the weight of a baby over an 11-month period. To find the average monthly weight gain, you must subtract the weights at the beginning and end of the time interval and divide by the number of months. For part C, you must use the growth rate to find the total weight gain over 12 years, keeping in mind the units.
lalahelp

Homework Statement

The weight of a baby measured over an 11-month period is given in the weight chart below for this problem.
Weight (lb) Age (months)
6.6 0 (birth)
7.4 1.0
9.6 2.0
11.2 3.0
12.0 4.0
13.6 5.0
13.8 6.0
14.8 7.0
15.0 8.0
16.6 9.0
17.5 10.0
18.4 11.0

(a) What was the average monthly weight gain for this baby over the period from birth to 3 months?
------- lb/month

(b) What was the average monthly weight gain for the baby over the period from 8 months to 11 months?
--------lb/month

(c) If a baby continued to grow at the same rate as in the first 3 months of life, what would the child weigh at age 12 years?

For part A I added the weights and divided by 3 but I got the wrong answer... so how do I do it?

Im not sure how to solve parts B and C

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
lalahelp said:

Homework Statement

The weight of a baby measured over an 11-month period is given in the weight chart below for this problem.
Weight (lb) Age (months)
6.6 0 (birth)
7.4 1.0
9.6 2.0
11.2 3.0
12.0 4.0
13.6 5.0
13.8 6.0
14.8 7.0
15.0 8.0
16.6 9.0
17.5 10.0
18.4 11.0

(a) What was the average monthly weight gain for this baby over the period from birth to 3 months?
------- lb/month

(b) What was the average monthly weight gain for the baby over the period from 8 months to 11 months?
--------lb/month

(c) If a baby continued to grow at the same rate as in the first 3 months of life, what would the child weigh at age 12 years?

For part A I added the weights and divided by 3 but I got the wrong answer... so how do I do it?

You should read the question more carefully. What you have computed is the average weight. What the question is asking for is the average weight GAIN over the course of a month.

Part b is the same as part A, only the average is being taken over a different time interval.

For part C, think about how you'd compute the total growth, if you've been given a growth RATE.

So for part A I should subtract 7.4-6.6
9.6-7.4
11.2 -9.6

add the totals together and divide by three?

Ok thanks I got A and B.
For part C I am not sure, Do I divide 1.53 (from part A) by 12?

lalahelp said:
So for part A I should subtract 7.4-6.6
9.6-7.4
11.2 -9.6

add the totals together and divide by three?

Yeah

lalahelp said:
Ok thanks I got A and B.
For part C I am not sure, Do I divide 1.53 (from part A) by 12?

You have a RATE of weight gain in pounds/month from part A. Let's say for example, the growth rate is 3 lbs and the starting weight is 5 lbs. If the growth rate remains constant, how much will the baby weight after one month? After two months? Now, how did you compute that? Hint: look at the units? what do you have to multiply a rate in pounds/month by in order to get the total weight gain, which is in pounds?

Im not really understanding what your trying to explain.
so the rate of weight is not used?

lalahelp said:
Im not really understanding what your trying to explain.
so the rate of weight is not used?

Just answer this question here:

cepheid said:
Let's say for example, the growth rate is 3 lbs/month and the starting weight is 5 lbs. If the growth rate remains constant, how much will the baby weight after one month? After two months?

I'm sure you know how to answer that. Once you do, ask yourself, "how did I do that?" It's same as the method for part C.

It's the same method in general for whenever you're given a *rate of change* of some quantity with time, and you want to figure out the total change in that quantity over some time interval. Another example: say I'm moving along in my car at 50 km/h. After 3 hours, how far will I have moved? You find the answer in exactly the same way, only this time the quantity in question is distance rather than weight.

okkk now I understand what you mean thank you!

Related to What is the Average Monthly Weight Gain for a Baby Over a Specific Time Period?

What is a weight chart?

A weight chart is a graphical representation of a person's weight over a period of time. It typically includes a person's weight measurements at various points in time, allowing for a visual representation of weight trends.

How do you find the average weight?

To find the average weight, you must first gather all weight measurements taken over a specific period of time. Then, add all of the measurements together and divide by the number of measurements. The resulting number is the average weight.

Why is finding the average weight important?

Finding the average weight can be important for several reasons. It can help track weight loss or gain over time, provide insight into overall health and fitness, and aid in setting realistic weight goals.

What factors can impact weight chart findings?

There are several factors that can impact weight chart findings, such as diet, exercise, genetics, and overall lifestyle. It's important to consider these factors when analyzing weight trends.

Can a weight chart be used as a diagnostic tool?

While a weight chart can provide valuable information about weight trends, it is not typically used as a diagnostic tool. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for accurate diagnosis and treatment of any health concerns.