What is the average lifetime of a Muon in the laboratory frame?

In summary, the question considers a beam of positive Muons with an energy of 0.3GeV in the laboratory. The first approach to determining the apparent mean lifetime involved using the equation E = pc and calculating the speed of the muon, but it resulted in a velocity greater than the speed of light. The second approach used the uncertainty principle, but yielded a very small time. The suggested solution involves using the equation for kinetic energy and taking into account the time dilation effect of relativity.
lmstaples
Consider a beam of positive Muons, of energy 0.3GeV in the laboratory.

(i) What is the apparent mean lifetime of the Muon as measured in the laboratory frame?

(ii) What is the mean distanced traveled by the Muon in the laboratory?

I first tried using the E = pc and working out speed of muon and then using relativity to work out time dilated lifetime but kept getting v > c.

So then I tried using uncertainty principle ΔEΔt ~ h
But gave a very small time.

This is a past exam question, not homework.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
lmstaples said:
Consider a beam of positive Muons, of energy 0.3GeV in the laboratory.

(i) What is the apparent mean lifetime of the Muon as measured in the laboratory frame?

(ii) What is the mean distanced traveled by the Muon in the laboratory?

I first tried using the E = pc and working out speed of muon and then using relativity to work out time dilated lifetime but kept getting v > c.

So then I tried using uncertainty principle ΔEΔt ~ h
But gave a very small time.

This is a past exam question, not homework.

Cheers.
Try using this for the kinetic energy ##\displaystyle E_\text{k} = m \gamma c^2 - m c^2 = \frac{m c^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} - m c^2 \ .##

Related to What is the average lifetime of a Muon in the laboratory frame?

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a subatomic particle that is similar to an electron but with a much greater mass. It is classified as a lepton and has a negative charge.

2. What is the average lifetime of a muon?

The average lifetime of a muon is approximately 2.2 microseconds (2.2 x 10^-6 seconds).

3. How is the average lifetime of a muon measured?

The average lifetime of a muon is measured using a process called muon decay. This involves observing a large number of muons and recording the time it takes for them to decay into other particles.

4. Why is the average lifetime of a muon important?

The average lifetime of a muon is important because it provides insight into the fundamental nature of particles and helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and medical imaging.

5. Can the average lifetime of a muon change?

Yes, the average lifetime of a muon can change depending on the conditions in which it is observed. For example, muons traveling at high speeds or in highly energetic environments may have shorter lifetimes compared to muons that are at rest.