What is the average force on a baseball after being hit by a bat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the horizontal and vertical components of the average force on a baseball that is struck by a bat. The problem is solved using both kinematics equations and momentum/impulse equations. The final answer for the horizontal component of the force is 75 N, and the vertical component is -1400 N.
javacola

Homework Statement

A bat strikes a 0.145 kg baseball. Just before impact, the ball is traveling horizontally to the right at 50.0 m/s, and it leaves the bat traveling to the left at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal with a speed of 60.0 m/s. The ball and bat are in contact for 1.65 milliseconds.

A) Find the horizontal component of the average force on the ball. Take the x-direction to be positive to the right

B) Find the vertical component of the average force on the ball.

Express answers with two significant figures.

Homework Equations

F= ma
V= Vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

First I plugged into the kinematics equation:
60 m/s= 50 m/s + a (0.00165 s)
a= 6060.61 m/s^2

Then I simply used sin and cos to get the components:
6060.61sin(35) = 3476.2 = 3500 (sig figs) = Fy
6060.61cos(35) = 4694.56 = 4700 (sig figs) = Fx

Both of these are wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to split the velocity into components first. THEN find the components of acceleration. You can't treat acceleration as a scalar and then split into components.

Dick said:
You need to split the velocity into components first. THEN find the components of acceleration. You can't treat acceleration as a scalar and then split into components.

Ok, did that and still got it wrong.

Spitting 60 into components I get: Fx= 49.15 and Fy= 34.4146

Now plugging in: 49.15 = 50 + a(0.00165)
a= -515.15

Fx= (.145)(-515.15)
Fx= 74.69 = 75 (sig figs)

Wrong still.

The initial vx=50m/s. Because it's traveling right. Final vx=(-49.15)m/s. That's MINUS because it's traveling left.

Thanks, I got the first part.

But the same thing isn't working for the second. It isn't negative since it's going up. Do I need to factor in gravity somehow?

javacola said:
Thanks, I got the first part.

But the same thing isn't working for the second. It isn't negative since it's going up. Do I need to factor in gravity?

What did you do and what did you get for the second part? I doubt you have to deal with gravity. It's not going to do much in 1.65 milliseconds.

Same thing basically.

34.4146 (vertical component of velocity) = 50 + a (0.00165)
a= -9445.69697

Fy= (-9445.69697)(.145)
Fy= -1369.626= -1400 (sig figs)

Nothing?

javacola said:
Same thing basically.

34.4146 (vertical component of velocity) = 50 + a (0.00165)
a= -9445.69697

Fy= (-9445.69697)(.145)
Fy= -1369.626= -1400 (sig figs)

Is 50 really the initial vertical velocity? I don't think so.

Thought I would update this one.

Baseball force problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Homework Statement
A bat strikes a 0.145 kg baseball. Just before impact, the ball is traveling horizontally to the right at 50.0 m/s, and it leaves the bat traveling to the left at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal with a speed of 60.0 m/s. The ball and bat are in contact for 1.65 milliseconds.

A) Find the horizontal component of the average force on the ball. Take the x-direction to be positive to the right

B) Find the vertical component of the average force on the ball.

Express answers with two significant figures.

2. Homework Equations

sigma F = (p2-p1)/(t2-t1).

I did this problem via momentum/impulse

FX = (mass of ball * v2cos(angle) - mass of ball * v1) / time in seconds

(.145 * 50cos(35) - .145*60)/.00165 =

FY = (mass of ball * v2sin(angle) - 0 (has no initial velocity in y direction, so .145*0=0) /time
(.145*50cos(35)-.145*60)/.00165 =

my problem had different numbers in it, but I figure this could help someone else looking for an answer. I haven't seen anyone do it this way yet.

also: http://people.physics.tamu.edu/mahapatra/teaching/ch8_supl_sols.pdf is what I checked my answers with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the average force on a baseball after being hit by a bat?

1. What is the force required to hit a baseball?

The force required to hit a baseball varies depending on the speed and distance of the ball, as well as the strength and technique of the hitter. Generally, hitters need to generate a force of at least 50 pounds to hit a ball at an average speed of 90 miles per hour.

2. How does air resistance affect the force needed to hit a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the force needed to hit a baseball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, making it more difficult for the hitter to generate enough force to overcome this resistance. This is why home runs are easier to hit in stadiums with thinner air, such as at high altitudes.

3. How does the weight of a baseball affect the force of a pitch?

The weight of a baseball does not directly affect the force of a pitch, but it can impact the speed and trajectory of the ball. A heavier ball will require more force to throw at the same speed as a lighter ball, but it may also have more momentum and be less affected by air resistance.

4. What role does the bat play in the force of a hit?

The bat plays a crucial role in the force of a hit. The design and materials of the bat can impact the force and speed of the ball upon contact. A heavier bat may generate more force, but a lighter bat may allow for faster swing speeds. The technique and strength of the hitter also play a significant role in determining the force of a hit.

5. How do different types of pitches affect the force needed to hit a baseball?

Different types of pitches, such as fastballs, curveballs, and sliders, require different levels of force to hit. For example, a fastball may require more force to hit due to its high speed, while a curveball may require less force due to its slower speed and downward trajectory. Additionally, the spin and movement of the ball can also impact the force needed to hit it effectively.