What is the Average Force Exerted by a Wall on a Bouncing Ball?

In summary, the problem involves a steel ball with a mass of 3.00 kg striking a wall with a speed of 10 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees. It bounces off with the same speed and angle and is in contact with the wall for 0.20 s. To find the average force exerted by the wall on the ball, we can use the equation \int F_{\rm ext} \, dt = \vec p_f - \vec p_i, taking into account the vector nature of the problem. Since the question asks for the average force, we can simplify the equation and solve for the magnitude of the force. The direction of the force is in the same direction as the change in
student 1

Homework Statement

A 3.00 Kg steel ball strikes a wall with a speed 10 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees with the surface. It bounces off with the same speed and angle. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.20 s, what is the average force exerted by the wall on the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Find Pf and Pi and use I=Pi-Pf then solve for F. I do not know what do use this to solve for F.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi student_1,

What is the equation relating the change in momentum and the (external) force?

I=[[tex]\int Fdt[/tex]

student 1 said:
I=[[tex]\int Fdt[/tex]

That's the idea (since you have I in your original post). However, you do have to take into account the vector nature of this problem, so you should probably think of it as:

[tex]
\int \vec F_{\rm ext}\, dt = \vec p_f - \vec p_i
[/tex]

You can simplify this formula a bit for this problem, because they are asking for the average force. What does that mean, and how will that affect the integral?

Once you have that, you will need the x and y components for the initial and final momentum. What do you get?

I got 30[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] for my I. I subtracted the Pi-Pf

What do I do with that?

student 1 said:
I got 30[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] for my I. I subtracted the Pi-Pf

Good, that's the magnitude of I. (Although you should have done final-initial.) Using your other equation for I, you can then write:

[tex]
\int F_{\rm ext} \, dt = 30\sqrt{3}
[/tex]
along the direction of I, and this will let you solve for the force. To simplify this, just answer the question in my last post: Since they are asking for the average force, what does that mean for the force you are solving for? In other words, what can you do with the left hand side when they ask for the average force?

(After you get the magnitude, you'll probably need the direction of the force, which is in the same direction as I. What is the direction of I?)

Related to What is the Average Force Exerted by a Wall on a Bouncing Ball?

1. What is the force of a wall on a ball?

The force of a wall on a ball is the amount of pressure or resistance that the wall exerts on the ball when the ball comes into contact with the wall. This force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is the force of a wall on a ball calculated?

The force of a wall on a ball can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and a is the acceleration of the ball. This formula takes into account the mass and speed of the ball at the moment of impact with the wall.

3. Does the force of a wall on a ball depend on the material of the wall?

Yes, the force of a wall on a ball can vary depending on the material of the wall. For example, a rubber wall will exert a different force on a ball compared to a concrete wall when the ball hits it with the same force.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the force of a wall on a ball?

The angle of impact can have a significant effect on the force of a wall on a ball. When the ball hits the wall at a right angle, the force will be greater compared to when the ball hits the wall at an oblique angle. This is because a right angle impact allows for more surface area contact between the ball and the wall, resulting in a greater transfer of force.

5. Can the force of a wall on a ball be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the force of a wall on a ball can be influenced by external factors such as air resistance, gravity, and friction. These forces can affect the speed and trajectory of the ball, which in turn can affect the force exerted on the wall. In addition, the elasticity of the ball and the material of the wall can also impact the force.