What is the area of the region between two parametric curves?

In summary, the area of the region that lies inside the first curve and outside the second curve is equal to $\pi$. To find this area, we can use the integral $\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}} 4\cos(2\theta)-2\cos(\theta)+3\,d\theta$, taking the square of the outer curve minus the square of the inner curve. By using symmetry, we can simplify this to $\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}} 4\cos(2\theta)-2\cos(\theta)+3\,d\theta = \pi$.
ineedhelpnow
find the area of the region that lies inside the first curve and outside the second curve. $r=3cos(\theta)$, $r=1+cos(\theta)$

$3cos(\theta)=1+cos(\theta)$
$2cos(\theta)=1$
$cos(\theta)=\frac{1}{2}$
$\theta= \frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{5 \pi}{3}$$A=\frac{1}{2} \int_{\pi/3}^{5\pi/3} \ (3cos(\theta))^2 d \theta - \frac{1}{2} \int_{\pi/3}^{5\pi/3} \ (1+cos(\theta))^2 d \theta$

i did some by hand but it's super long. i put it into my calculator and got $4 \pi - \frac{9 \sqrt{3}}{4}$ is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the following plot, and see if you spot a problem with the integral you used (which incidentally, is not evaluated correctly).

View attachment 2824

Attachments

• polarregion.png
    polarregion.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 60
wrong interval?

ineedhelpnow said:
wrong interval?

Correct...what interval should you use? Also, think about using some symmetry to your advantage...:D

not sure. wasnt i just supposed to find the values of $\theta$?

You did find 2 valid values for $\theta$, but consider the periodicity of the cosine function:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta+2\pi k)=\cos(\theta)\)

You see, you were attempting to find the area outside the first curve and inside the second because of the values you chose. You were going from the first quadrant intersection to the fourth quadrant intersection, when you in fact want to go from the fourth to the first quadrant intersections.

So, how can you write the integral correctly?

$2 \pi /3$ to $4 \pi /3$ ?

$- \pi/3$ to $\pi/3$

ineedhelpnow said:
$2 \pi /3$ to $4 \pi /3$ ?

Let's use:

\(\displaystyle \cos(-x)=\cos(x)\)

And so we may write:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}f\left(\cos(\theta)\right)\,d\theta\)

Since the cosine function is even, we may simplify this as:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}f\left(\cos(\theta)\right)\,d\theta\)

Look at the graph, do you see that the area above $r=0$ is equal to the area below because of symmetry?

yeah

Do you also see how:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{3}\le\theta\le\frac{\pi}{3}\)

is the interval we want?

yes.

ineedhelpnow said:
yes.

Cool...then commence to integrating...what do you get?

i will commence to integrating right after i eat something (Tongueout)

$2 \pi + \frac{9 \sqrt{3}}{4}$

ineedhelpnow said:
$2 \pi + \frac{9 \sqrt{3}}{4}$

No, that's incorrect...can you post your work?

here's the thing though. my calculator may have told me the answer. (Speechless)

is this the correct setup:

$\frac{1}{2} \int_{- \pi/3}^{\pi/3} \ 9cos^2(\theta)d\theta + \frac{1}{2} \int_{- \pi/3}^{\pi/3} (1+cos(\theta))^2d\theta$

You want to take the square of the outer curve minus the square of the inner curve...and I recommend using the symmetry I spoke of before. There is no need to break it up into two integrals, just square and combine terms...you should get (after applying a double-angle identity for cosine):

\(\displaystyle A=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}} 4\cos(2\theta)-2\cos(\theta)+3\,d\theta\)

$\pi$

ineedhelpnow said:
$\pi$

Yep...:D

\(\displaystyle A=\left[2\sin(2\theta)-2\sin(\theta)+3\theta\right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}}=\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{3}+\pi-0=\pi\)

Related to What is the area of the region between two parametric curves?

1. What is the definition of area of a parametric curve?

The area of a parametric curve is the total space enclosed by the curve. It is calculated by finding the definite integral of the curve's equation with respect to the parameter.

2. How is the area of a parametric curve different from that of a standard curve?

The area of a parametric curve is calculated using a different method than that of a standard curve. Instead of finding the area under the curve, the area of a parametric curve is found by integrating the equation of the curve with respect to the parameter.

3. Can the area of a parametric curve be negative?

Yes, the area of a parametric curve can be negative. This can occur when the curve crosses over itself or when the orientation of the curve changes.

4. What is the importance of finding the area of a parametric curve?

Finding the area of a parametric curve can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can help in analyzing the motion of objects, calculating work done, and finding volumes of irregular shapes.

5. How do you calculate the area of a parametric curve when the equation is not given?

If the equation of the parametric curve is not given, the area can still be calculated by using the divergence theorem or Green's theorem. These theorems relate the area of a parametric curve to the line integral of the curve's equation with respect to the parameter.