What is the Approximation for Retarded Time?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an approximation for a retarded time in a wave function. The person is facing difficulties and asks for help, and the lecturer explains the concept of retard time using a cosine wave function. The person thanks the lecturer for their explanation.
noamriemer
Hello again!
Facing some problems (my exam is taking place tomorrow... help is needed. Many thanks in advance!)

I need to find an approximation for a retarded time. I don't understand how. This is what my lecturer wrote: [itex]sin(\varphi-\omega t)=exp(i\varphi'-i\omega(t-r/c)-i\omega(r'cos\theta cos\theta'+r'sin\theta sin\theta'cos(\varphi-\varphi'))/c [/itex]

Could you please explain how ?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you copy incorrect. You are assuming harmonic wave in you case where it is a sinusoidal wave. Usually it is represented by cosine wave:

[tex] cos ( \beta z -\omega t -\phi) = cos ( \omega t -\beta z +\phi) = \Re e[e^{j\omega t}e^{-j\beta z}e^{j\phi}] [/tex]

The way you look at this is the peak of the cosine function is at [itex] \omega t - \beta z +\phi = 0 [/itex]. Let's first assume [itex] \phi= 0[/itex] to simplify the problem. So if z is positive, then t has to be positive to get [itex] \omega t - \beta z = 0 [/itex]. In words, if you start at z=0, it takes [itex] \omega t = \beta z[/itex] for the wave at z=0 to reach z. So this is the retard time function.

Thank you...

Related to What is the Approximation for Retarded Time?

1. What is the concept of "Retarded time approximation"?

Retarded time approximation is a mathematical technique used in physics to estimate the behavior of a system at a given time based on the past behavior of the system and its surroundings.

2. How does "Retarded time approximation" differ from other time approximation methods?

Unlike other time approximation methods that only consider the current state of a system, "Retarded time approximation" takes into account the past behavior of the system and its surroundings, making it a more accurate and comprehensive approach.

3. In what fields or applications is "Retarded time approximation" commonly used?

"Retarded time approximation" is commonly used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics, to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. What are the limitations of "Retarded time approximation"?

One limitation of "Retarded time approximation" is that it assumes a linear relationship between the past behavior of a system and its future behavior, which may not always be the case. It also does not account for external factors that may affect the system.

5. How is "Retarded time approximation" calculated and applied in practice?

The calculation and application of "Retarded time approximation" vary depending on the specific system being studied. Generally, it involves using mathematical models and equations to analyze the past behavior of a system and predict its future behavior. This technique is then used to make approximations and predictions in real-world scenarios.