Find Spring Constant for Two Springs in Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spring constant for a spring system with two springs in series. The net force is zero in the middle of the system and the formula for finding the spring constant is derived. It is mentioned that this formula can be extended to multiple springs. The conversation also briefly touches on finding the spring constant for springs in parallel.
StephenPrivitera
Two springs are in series. You know the constants for each individual spring. How do you find the spring constant for the spring system?

|-OOOOO---o---OOOOOOOOOO-| --->F
In the middle of the spring system (where the "o" is) the net force is zero and we have
k1x1=k2x2 disregarding sign
F=k3x3
x3 =x2+x1
F=k3(x2+x1)
F=k3(k1x1/k2+x1)
F=k3*x1/k2*(k1+k2)
but F=k1x1+k2x2
F=2k1x1
2k1x1=k3*x1/k2*(k1+k2)
2k1k2=k3(k1+k2)
k3=2k1k2/(k1+k2)

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK.
Now try to find a similar expression for N springs..:)

Looks to me like you have an extra factor of 2 in there. Springs in series add as Resistors in parallel. So

1/KT = 1/K1+ 1/K2

OR

KT= (K1+K2)/(K1K2)

Also Springs in parallel add as resistors in series.

KT=K1+K2

I do not have time to do the derivation now. Should be able to post it later to day. A key is that in the series case the force seen by each spring is equal, while in the parallel case the extensions are equal.

Originally posted by Integral
Looks to me like you have an extra factor of 2 in there. Springs in series add as Resistors in parallel. So

1/KT = 1/K1+ 1/K2
Ah, I see my mistake. I have F=k1x1+k2x2 but F=k2x1=k1x1. I need to be more careful.

OK, that looks better!
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/Math/Spring_constant.PDF is my derivation. As long as I was at it I did the case for parallel springs also.

BTW: it would be trivial to extend this to multiple springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Integral. I have put your work into my physics notebook (hope you don't mind).

1. What is the formula for calculating the spring constant for two springs in series?

The formula for calculating the spring constant for two springs in series is keq = k1 + k2, where k1 and k2 are the individual spring constants.

2. How do you measure the spring constant for two springs in series?

To measure the spring constant for two springs in series, you will need a known mass, a ruler, and a stopwatch. First, hang the known mass from the springs and measure the displacement. Next, set the mass in motion and use the stopwatch to measure the time it takes to complete one full oscillation. Finally, use the formula k = (4π2m)/T2, where m is the mass and T is the period, to calculate the spring constant for the combined system.

3. Can the spring constant for two springs in series be greater than the individual spring constants?

Yes, the spring constant for two springs in series can be greater than the individual spring constants. This is because when springs are connected in series, the effective spring constant is the sum of the individual spring constants. This means that the combined system will have a greater stiffness than each individual spring.

4. What factors can affect the spring constant for two springs in series?

The spring constant for two springs in series can be affected by several factors, including the individual spring constants, the number of springs in the system, and the arrangement of the springs. In addition, external factors such as temperature and material properties can also impact the spring constant.

5. How does the spring constant for two springs in series affect the behavior of the system?

The spring constant for two springs in series determines the stiffness of the combined system. A higher spring constant means the system will be more resistant to displacement and will require a greater force to stretch or compress the springs. Conversely, a lower spring constant will result in a more flexible system that is easier to displace.