What is the angular speed in revolution per minute?

In summary: So the final answer I got was 344.77rpm. I'm sorry about the previous decimal point error.In summary, to build a new "Rotor" ride with a 14.2-ft diameter and a centripetal acceleration of 3g, the required angular speed in revolutions per minute (rpm) is approximately 344.77rpm. It is important to work with symbols instead of plugging in numbers immediately to avoid errors.
jimmyboykun

Homework Statement

You are consulting for an amusement park that wants to build a new "Rotor" ride. In order to increase capacity, they would like to build a unit with a 14.2-ft diameter. The Rotor should provide a centripetal acceleration of 3g. What must be the angular speed in revolutions per minute (rpm)?

Homework Equations

a(centripedal)= v^2/radius
v=ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

1ft=0.3048m---> 14.2ft*0.3048m/ft= 4.33m

4.33/2= 2.16(this is the radius)

3(9.81m/s^2)= 29.43m/s^2

v^2=2.16*29.43m/s^2=63.5688

sqrtv=sqrt63.5688=7.97m/s

v=ωr
7.97m/s=ω2.16

7.97/2.16=ω

ω=3.69rad/s

3.69rad/s*1rev/2∏*60s/1m= 344.77rpm

344.77rpm is my final answer but I got that wrong, where did I go wrong in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you are taking the correct steps. However, I get a different numerical answer than you do.

Also, may I suggest that you don't plug all of those numbers in immediately, and just work with symbols until you have an expression for what it is you are looking for? It'll make the work easier for you, and you'll be less error prone.

It's correct up to the very last step. Then, you got the decimal point in the wrong place.

Chet

yeah I realize that. it seems that I have to convert rad/s to rpm

Your calculations are mostly correct, but you made a small mistake in converting from meters to feet. The radius should be 2.16 feet, not 2.16 meters. This will give you a final answer of approximately 207 rpm.

Related to What is the angular speed in revolution per minute?

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measurement of how fast an object is rotating or revolving around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate of change of the angle at which an object is rotating or revolving, while linear speed is the rate of change of the distance an object travels in a straight line. Angular speed is dependent on the object's distance from the fixed point, while linear speed is not.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular speed?

The formula for calculating angular speed is angular distance (in radians) divided by time. It can also be calculated by dividing the number of revolutions by time.

4. Is angular speed the same as angular velocity?

No, angular speed and angular velocity are two different measurements. Angular velocity also takes into account the direction of the rotation, while angular speed only measures the magnitude of the rotation.

5. How can angular speed be measured?

Angular speed can be measured using specialized equipment such as tachometers or dynamometers. It can also be calculated using the formula mentioned above.