What is the angular momentum of uncle's tire immediately upon its departure?

In summary, the conversation discusses an incident where the speaker's car swerves to avoid hitting a cat, causing hot coffee to spill on their clothes. It is later revealed that the tire was not properly fastened by a mechanic. The conversation then transitions to solving a physics problem involving the angular momentum and velocity of the tire.
mattmannmf
As you approached the I-74 exit in your uncle's little red sports car convertible you happened to notice a cat crossing the road. Not that you have any particularlove of cats (especially this one whose snooty disposition seems to beckon for a game of chicken) you swerve out of the way spilling scalding hot coffee all over your new summer duds.

Unknown to you at the time, the auto mechanic, having had an uneventful social life and being consequently somewhat incoherent, had inadvertently forgotten to fasten the lug nuts on one of your uncle's tires.

Given your velocity on the exit ramp as 2.8 m/s, a tire mass of 10 kg and radius 30 cm;

(a) What is the angular momentum of uncle's tire immediately upon its departure? (Assume the tire is a solid cylinder) in kg m2/s?

(b) Next, the tire cruises up an embankment at 30° for 1 meter beforelaunching across Piranha Lake. What is the velocity of the tire at the topof the embankment in m/s?

not sure where to start for this one

Physics news on Phys.org
i figured out that angular momentum is 4.2

Inital KE of the tire is 1/2*M*V2 + 1/2*I*(V/R)2; both rotational and translational
Final KE = Initial KE - M*g*h where h = 1m * sin(30°).

i just plugged in the numbers and got 2.42...wrong.

Hi mattmannmf! :smile:
mattmannmf said:
i figured out that angular momentum is 4.2

Nooo … how did you get that? :confused:

its rmvsin (30), i just plugged in the numbers and got 4.2...im sure its correct because it told me it was correct

mattmannmf said:
its rmvsin (30) …

No, the 30º is in part (b) …

this is for part (a), where the road is level …

you have the speed of the tyre, so what is the angular momentum?

Related to What is the angular momentum of uncle's tire immediately upon its departure?

What is the angular momentum of uncle's tire?

The angular momentum of uncle's tire is a measure of the amount of rotational motion it possesses. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and speed of the tire.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of how mass is distributed around an axis of rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the tire is rotating).

What factors affect the angular momentum of the tire?

The angular momentum of the tire can be affected by changes in its mass, shape, or rotational speed. Additionally, any external forces acting upon the tire can also alter its angular momentum.

Is angular momentum conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

How does the tire's angular momentum change upon its departure?

Upon its departure, the tire's angular momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by external forces (such as friction or air resistance) that can alter its rotational motion. It may also transfer some of its angular momentum to other objects it comes into contact with.