What Is the Angle Between Initial Velocities in a Perfectly Inelastic Collision?

In summary, after a completely inelastic collision between two objects of the same mass and same initial speed, the objects will move away together at half of their initial speed. The angle between their initial velocities can be found using the equations for total momentum, resulting in an angle of 30 or 60 degrees.
bearhug
After a completely inelastic collision, two objects of the same mass and same initial speed move away together at half of their initial speed.
(a) Find the angle between the initial velocities of the objects

∑pxi = mvi
∑pxf = 2mvfcosӨ
mvi = 2mfvcosӨ

∑pyi= mvi
∑pyf = 2mvfsinӨ
mvi=2mvfsinӨ

2mvfsinӨ = 2mfvcosӨ
1= sinӨ/cosӨ
1=tanӨ

Ө=45°

I feel like there's something I'm not doing right in this problem. Can anyone point out any mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm seeing some unprintables on my screen, so I won't fight to interpret your equations. If you take the final direction to be the x axis, then you know the initial total y momentum must be zero, and the total initial x momentum is the final momentum. That, combined with the equal masses and speeds forces a fairly obvious symmetry to the problem. The half speed at the end suggests to me there are angles of 30 or 60 degrees involved. I doubt the angle between the initial velocities is 45, but I have not worked it out.

Your calculations seem to be correct. The angle between the initial velocities of the objects would indeed be 45° in this scenario. However, it is worth noting that in a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects would stick together and move as one unit, so there would not be two separate initial velocities to consider. Instead, the initial velocity would be the combined velocity of the two objects. In this case, the angle between the initial velocity and the final velocity would still be 45°.

Related to What Is the Angle Between Initial Velocities in a Perfectly Inelastic Collision?

1. What is a perfectly inelastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after they collide and move as one mass. This means that the objects lose all of their kinetic energy and become entangled.

2. How is a perfectly inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move as one unit, whereas in an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and retain their individual velocities.

3. What are some examples of perfectly inelastic collisions?

Some examples of perfectly inelastic collisions include two cars colliding and becoming stuck together, a bullet hitting a block of wood and getting embedded in it, and a ball of clay hitting a wall and sticking to it.

4. Is momentum conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision?

Yes, momentum is always conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to perfectly inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is 0, indicating that all of the kinetic energy is lost. This is in contrast to an elastic collision where the coefficient of restitution is 1, indicating that all of the kinetic energy is conserved.