What is the Amperage Rating of a 3-Pronged Edison Plug

In summary, the standard three-pronged edison plug is rated at 15 amps and common house wiring is typically also rated at 15 or 20 amps. However, when designing a building, it is important to consider the maximum number of outlets on a circuit and the potential for continuous load on the equipment. It is recommended to follow code guidelines and be cautious with electricity to avoid potential hazards.
Juxt
I know this isn't quite what you mean when you say electrical engineering, but, how many amps is a standard three-pronged edison plug rated at? Also, what is common house wiring rated at?

I believe that a three-pronged plug is rated at 15 amps and that logically the wiring should be able to carry at least that. By my calculations then in the US with good ol' 120-volts you should be able to carry 1800 watts on a wall outlet.

I'm just a layman at electricity and I just wanted to be sure. As much as some people dream about it I don't want to burn down my school.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're correct, most circuits in most buildings will carry 15 or 20 amps. If you try to pull more than that, you'll just pop the circuit breakers.

- Warren

Originally posted by Juxt
By my calculations then in the US with good ol' 120-volts you should be able to carry 1800 watts on a wall outlet.
Yes, but as you know, generally more than one outlet goes to the same breaker. When designing a building, you put a maximum of 10 outlets (depending on known usage) on a circuit and assume 180w per outlet.
If you know (for example) that an outlet supplies power to a window air conditioner, you put it on its own circuit.

Right Russ. Code says "The rating of anyone cord and plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch circuit ampere rating. Fixed in place equipment shall not exceed 50 percent where lighting and convenience outlets are also supplied". On anything with a continuous load (3 hours or more) ampacity should be at least 125 percent of full load rating of the equipment.(like heat, air conditioning, motors, etc...) Please be careful.
-Mike

Related to What is the Amperage Rating of a 3-Pronged Edison Plug

1. What is an Amperage Rating?

The Amperage Rating of an electrical device is a measure of the amount of current it can safely handle. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and is important for determining the appropriate size of wiring and circuit breakers.

2. What is a 3-Pronged Edison Plug?

A 3-Pronged Edison Plug, also known as a NEMA 5-15 plug, is a type of electrical plug commonly used in North America. It has three prongs - two parallel blades and one grounding pin - and is designed to fit into a 3-pronged outlet.

3. How do you determine the Amperage Rating of a 3-Pronged Edison Plug?

The Amperage Rating of a 3-Pronged Edison Plug can be determined by looking at the markings on the plug itself. It will typically have a value, such as 15A, printed on it, indicating the maximum amount of current it can safely handle.

4. Can the Amperage Rating of a 3-Pronged Edison Plug be changed?

No, the Amperage Rating of a 3-Pronged Edison Plug cannot be changed. It is determined by the design and materials of the plug and cannot be altered without potentially causing safety hazards.

5. What are the consequences of using a 3-Pronged Edison Plug with a higher Amperage Rating?

Using a 3-Pronged Edison Plug with a higher Amperage Rating than the device it is connected to can result in overheating and potentially causing a fire. It is important to always use the appropriate Amperage Rating for safety reasons.