What is the actual focal length?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the focal length of a converging lens. The suggested method is to graph the data points of object distance (O) and image distance (I) and use the lens equation to solve for the focal length. The conversation also includes some confusion about the process and how to interpret the graph.
argarg03
I understand completely how to go about doing this problem... I know that you would have to plot the points and draw a line of best fit and that the x-intercepts and y-intercepts would equal 1/f... but what would the actual focal length be? and how do you calculate the gradient? This is actually a review sheet for my test and the teacher didn't give us the answer to this last one because it was the last thing we covered so he didn't get the chance to. I would really like to know the exact answer so I can review it multiple times as the test is very similar to these problems.

It says: A converging lens is set up on an optical bench and the distances to the object O and image I are measured. Use a graph to determine the focal length of the lens.

O,cm I,cm
20 80
25 44.1
46 24.5
58 22.1
70 20.7

Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
argarg03 said:
I understand completely how to go about doing this problem... I know that you would have to plot the points and draw a line of best fit and that the x-intercepts and y-intercepts would equal 1/f... but what would the actual focal length be? and how do you calculate the gradient? This is actually a review sheet for my test and the teacher didn't give us the answer to this last one because it was the last thing we covered so he didn't get the chance to. I would really like to know the exact answer so I can review it multiple times as the test is very similar to these problems.

It says: A converging lens is set up on an optical bench and the distances to the object O and image I are measured. Use a graph to determine the focal length of the lens.

O,cm I,cm
20 80
25 44.1
46 24.5
58 22.1
70 20.7

Thanks so much in advance!

Use the lens equation for each of the data points:

[tex] \frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{O} + \frac{1}{I} [/tex]

Ohh it says use a graph! DOH!

So graph O on the x-axis and I on the y-axis and solve the lens equation for I.

but I'm solving for focal length... for another example the number on the intercepts was 0.14

would that be the focal length or would I actually have to solve 1/.14 which comes out to like 7.0 something... or would the focal length be just 0.14

Is this confusing? I think I'm confusing myself

argarg03 said:
but I'm solving for focal length... for another example the number on the intercepts was 0.14

would that be the focal length or would I actually have to solve 1/.14 which comes out to like 7.0 something... or would the focal length be just 0.14

Is this confusing? I think I'm confusing myself

I just graphed it like I said and there are no intercepts. The focal length is neither of those though. it is semi-confusing...just need to think about it. I know you are solving for f, but your given data points of O and I, so just make x = O and y = I and then somehow you will be able to solve for f from the graph.

But if you have an example then i must be graphing it wrong.

O..ok just graph (1/O) on the x-axis and (1/I) on the y-axis so then your equation is in the form y = mx+ b.

So then the slope would be -1 and b = (1/f).

[tex]

\frac{1}{I} = -1\frac{1}{O} + \frac {1}{f} [/tex]
[tex]

y \,= \;\; mx \;+ \:b \;\;\;\rightarrow \;\;b = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to What is the actual focal length?

1. What is the definition of focal length?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and the point where all the light rays converge to create a sharp image.

2. How is focal length measured?

Focal length is measured in millimeters (mm) and is typically listed on the lens of a camera or in the specifications of a lens. It is the distance from the center of the lens to the focal point.

3. What is the difference between actual and effective focal length?

The actual focal length of a lens is a physical measurement, while effective focal length takes into account the size of the camera's sensor. For example, a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera will have a 50mm actual focal length, but on a crop sensor camera, it will have an effective focal length of around 75mm.

4. How does focal length affect the appearance of an image?

Shorter focal lengths (wider angle lenses) capture a wider field of view, making objects appear smaller and farther away. Longer focal lengths (telephoto lenses) have a narrower field of view, making objects appear larger and closer.

5. Is there a "correct" focal length to use?

The "correct" focal length to use depends on the desired composition and perspective of the image. Wide angle lenses are great for landscapes and capturing a large scene, while telephoto lenses are better for portraits and bringing distant subjects closer.