What is the actual elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal?

In summary: Make sure you aren't just copying the information from the previous question.In summary, an underwater scuba diver sees the Sun at an apparent angle of 42.0° above the horizontal. The actual elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal is 7.86°.
roam

Homework Statement

An underwater scuba diver sees the Sun at an apparent angle of 42.0° above the horizontal. What is the actual elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal? (Use 1.333 for the index of refraction of water.)

The correct answer must be 7.86° above the horizon.

Homework Equations

Snell's law

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]sin \theta = 1.333 \ sin (42)[/tex]

[tex]sin^{-1} (0.89) = 62.87[/tex]

Now to find the actual elevation angle [tex]90- 62.87= 27.13[/tex]

But this is wrong since the correct answer must be 7.86°. What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
An underwater scuba diver sees the Sun at an apparent angle of 42.0° above the horizontal.
So what's the angle of incidence? (You're using the wrong angles in Snell's law.)

Doc Al said:
So what's the angle of incidence? (You're using the wrong angles in Snell's law.)

Okay, I see. Here's what I did now:

[tex]sin(42) = 1.333 \ sin (\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\theta = sin^{-1} (\frac{sin(42)}{1.333}) = 30.13[/tex]

90 - 30.13=59.86

Why is it still not right? :frown: (it should be 7.86°)

roam said:
Okay, I see. Here's what I did now:

[tex]sin(42) = 1.333 \ sin (\theta)[/tex]
No. You were closer before.

Please draw a diagram for yourself. The angle of incidence is with respect to the normal, not the horizontal.

Doc Al said:
No. You were closer before.

Please draw a diagram for yourself. The angle of incidence is with respect to the normal, not the horizontal.

Yes, here's a diagram:

[PLAIN]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/909/diverh.jpg

What I've marked in red is the elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal I'm required to find.

[tex]n_1 sin \theta_1 = n_2 sin \theta_2[/tex]

[tex]sin \theta_1 = 1.333 sin 42[/tex]

[tex]\theta_1 = 63.11[/tex]

Then to get the marked angle 90-63.11=26.88. But why is this wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
roam said:
Yes, here's a diagram:

[PLAIN]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/909/diverh.jpg

What I've marked in red is the elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal I'm required to find.
Good.

[tex]n_1 sin \theta_1 = n_2 sin \theta_2[/tex]
Good.

[tex]sin \theta_1 = 1.333 sin 42[/tex]
Here's your mistake. 42 degrees is the apparent angle with the horizon, not the angle of refraction (θ2). (The angles of incidence and refraction are with respect to the normal, not the horizontal.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
Good.

Good.

Here's your mistake. 42 degrees is the apparent angle with the horizon, not the angle of refraction (θ2). (The angles of incidence and refraction are with respect to the normal, not the horizontal.)

Ohhh... So [tex]\theta_1 = sin^{-1} (1.33 \ sin (90-42))= 81.3[/tex], and 90-81.3=8.7. Thank you very much for the explanation. :)

Likes Masawe
Now you've got it. :approve:

roam said:
Ohhh... So [tex]\theta_1 = sin^{-1} (1.33 \ sin (90-42))= 81.3[/tex], and 90-81.3=8.7. Thank you very much for the explanation. :)

A general suggestion/guide:
Application of Snell's Law is a fairly straight forward activity. Once you have done the early standard questions, the only way spice up the application is to not tell you the angle of incidence/refraction - at least not directly. Instead you are given some other angle(s) which you can use to calculate the angle you need for the formula.
Always read a question carefully to check how to interpret which angle is which.

Related to What is the actual elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal?

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, is a fundamental principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through different mediums with varying refractive indices.

2. How is Snell's law used in real-life applications?

Snell's law is used in various real-life applications, such as the design of lenses for telescopes and microscopes, the production of eyeglasses and contact lenses, and the creation of fiber optics for telecommunication. It is also used in the study of atmospheric optics, which helps in understanding the formation of rainbows and mirages.

3. What is the equation for Snell's law?

The equation for Snell's law is n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

4. How does Snell's law relate to the speed of light?

Snell's law is based on the principle that light travels at different speeds in different mediums. The refractive index of a medium is directly related to the speed of light in that medium. This means that the higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light, and vice versa.

5. Can Snell's law be applied to all types of light, including visible light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, Snell's law can be applied to all types of light, including visible light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. This is because all forms of light behave in a similar manner when passing through different mediums, following the same principles of refraction and reflection.