What is the actual definition of the TM mode?

In summary, the TM mode is an electromagnetic mode where there is no magnetic field component in the direction of wave propagation. However, in certain cases, such as in a metal pipe or waveguide, TM modes cannot propagate and instead have magnetic fields in the direction of propagation. This is a special case and can be decomposed into two components, TE and TM, for easier solving in certain problems.
dayan83
What is the actual definition of the TM mode? A typical definition that I've come across is that there is no Magnetic field component in the direction of wave propagation. As it is an EM wave, according to that definition the Magnetic field should be in the plane normal to the direction of propagation.

Recently I saw in some books, it states that if a TM wave is traveling in x direction, the magnetic field component should be y direction (i.e Hy is the only nonzero component, with Hx=0 & Hz = 0). (The other only nonzero components being Ex & Ez). Is it always the case for TM waves? Or is this for some special condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
dayan83 said:
What is the actual definition of the TM mode? A typical definition that I've come across is that there is no Magnetic field component in the direction of wave propagation. As it is an EM wave, according to that definition the Magnetic field should be in the plane normal to the direction of propagation.

A standard electromagnetic wave is often labeled TEM (transverse electric and magnetic), since there are no components of the wave field in the direction of propagation. In free space all electromagnetic waves are TEM.

However, if you launch an electromagnetic wave inside a metal pipe (aka waveguide) it turns out that a TEM wave cannot propagate, but modes that have either electric or magnetic fields in the direction of propagation do propagate. Just as you stated, TM modes have no magnetic field parallel to the direction of propagation. Another kind of mode, called TE, has no electric field parallel to the direction of propagation.

dayan83 said:
Recently I saw in some books, it states that if a TM wave is traveling in x direction, the magnetic field component should be y direction (i.e Hy is the only nonzero component, with Hx=0 & Hz = 0). (The other only nonzero components being Ex & Ez). Is it always the case for TM waves? Or is this for some special condition?

That is a special case.

TE and TM are just a generic way of describing an electromagnetic mode. In most electromagnetic problems, you can decompose an arbitrary EM wave into two components, TE and TM, with respect to an arbitrary direction. This can make things much easier to solve, like if you have a 2D scattering problem. With a 2D problem, one axis is assumed to be invariant and this is the axis that we refer to for the TE and TM. If we have a waveguide, the direction of guided propagation is the axis referred to for the TE and TM modes. And so on.

Related to What is the actual definition of the TM mode?

1. What is the TM mode?

The TM mode, or transverse magnetic mode, is a type of electromagnetic wave propagation where the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation and there is no magnetic field component in the direction of propagation.

2. How is the TM mode different from the TE mode?

The TM mode is characterized by a perpendicular electric field, while the TE mode has a perpendicular magnetic field. In other words, the TM mode has no electric field component in the direction of propagation, while the TE mode has no magnetic field component in that direction.

3. What are some examples of TM mode propagation?

TM mode can be observed in various situations, such as in coaxial cables, rectangular waveguides, and optical fibers. It is also commonly used in microwave devices and antennas.

4. How does the TM mode affect signal transmission?

The TM mode has the advantage of reducing signal loss in waveguides and fibers, as the electric field is confined to the surface of the conductor. This allows for efficient transmission of signals without interference from other modes.

5. Can the TM mode be converted to other modes?

Yes, the TM mode can be converted to other modes through various techniques such as mode conversion devices or by changing the shape of the waveguide. However, this conversion may result in some signal loss and may not always be desirable.