What is the acceleration of a simple pendulum at the lowest point of its swing?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a simple pendulum with a mass of 15 kg and a period of 1.8 seconds when it is displaced at an angle of 10 degrees from the vertical. The correct approach is to use conservation of energy and find the vertical distance the pendulum moves, or Δy, from its initial position to its lowest point. The length of the pendulum is 0.805 m. The acceleration is found to be 9.80 m/s². There is some confusion about the value for "h" and the formula for finding acceleration. It is clarified that there is a vertical acceleration at the bottom of the swing and that the mass is at the end of the rod.
Rockdog
A simple pendulum of mass 15 kg with a period of 1.8 sec is displaced an angle of 10 degrees from the vertical. What would its acceleration be in the vertical (y) direction as it reachs the lowest point on its swing?
Ok, I understand that it is a simple pendulum, but how do I figure out the acceleration?

Some help in the right direction would be helpful. I bet this is a simplistic problem, and I'm going to hit myself in the head when I figure out what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Rockdog
Ok, I understand that it is a simple pendulum, but how do I figure out the acceleration?
Hint: the pendulum is centripetally accelerated. Start by figuring out the length of the pendulum.

Ok. R=2*pi sqrt(L/g)
L=.805m

I know that centripetal acceleration equals a = V^2/R

or can be rewritten as a= w^2*R

w equals 2*pi/T
w=3.49
T is the period or 1.8 seconds.

so a=3.49^2*.805 =>9.80 m/sec^2

Does that appear right? The computer says no, but all my calculations say yes.

Ok. R=2*pi sqrt(L/g)
L=.805m
Good.
I know that centripetal acceleration equals a = V^2/R

or can be rewritten as a= w^2*R
Good.
w equals 2*pi/T
w=3.49
No! That would only be true for circular motion. The speed (or w) changes as the mass falls. Find the speed at the bottom. (Use conservation of energy.)

Ok, so use conservation of energy.
It starts off with potential energy, and then it gets converted to kinetic energy.

So it be mgh=.5mv^2
mass cancel out

so I'm left with gh=.5v^2
h=.805 m or h=.805m/cos 10

and I get v=3.972m/s

Then use a= V^2/R ?

Is this the right approach?

Is this the right approach?
Yes, right approach. But be sure to use the correct value for h, measured from the lowest point.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something obvious. When the pendulum is directly vertical, isn't h going to be same thing as the length of the string?

Ok, maybe I'm missing something obvious. When the pendulum is directly vertical, isn't h going to be same thing as the length of the string?
No. "h" is the vertical distance the pendulum moves from initial position to final position. Think of h as Δy. When the pendulum is at its lowest point (vertical) call it y = 0. Find the intial value for y.

And remember that the pendulum was displaced only 10 degrees initially- not vertically above the lowest point.

This doesn't work.. I have a similar problem to work on.. I figured out my h by using trig, and even verified it by testing it in AutoCad... I also triple checked my units...

i put it into gh*2=v^2

and then took my v^2 and put it into a=v^2/2

and I'm still getting a wrong answer... the fundamental setup seems right but I think we're missing something big

RunsWithKnives said:
i put it into gh*2=v^2
So far, so good.

and then took my v^2 and put it into a=v^2/2
a = v^2/R, where R will equal the length of the pendulum.

and I'm still getting a wrong answer... the fundamental setup seems right but I think we're missing something big
If you still can't get it, show your work and we'll check it out.

Dare I suggest that there is NO vertical accelleration at the bottom of swing , but there is a vertical force f = m.V^2 / r ( centrifugal ) + m.g ( gravity) where v is the peripheral speed m/sec , r is radius , g is gravity m/s/s , these cause tension in the rod , but it is only the peripheral speed which keeps the pendulum swinging because it has kinetic energy at this point Ek = 1/2 . m. v^2 .
You did not say where exactly the mass was i.e. at the end of the pendulum or distributed --- r in the above means the distance to the center of mass if that's at the end of the rod then r is the pendulum length.

rayjohn01 said:
Dare I suggest that there is NO vertical accelleration at the bottom of swing , but there is a vertical force f = m.V^2 / r ( centrifugal ) + m.g ( gravity) where v is the peripheral speed m/sec , r is radius , g is gravity m/s/s , these cause tension in the rod , but it is only the peripheral speed which keeps the pendulum swinging because it has kinetic energy at this point Ek = 1/2 . m. v^2 .
There is no problem viewing the pendulum from the usual inertial frame, in which case there is a centripetal acceleration (acting vertically) at the bottom of the swing. (Only when viewed from an accelerated frame would you introduce a "centrifugal" force.)

It is certainly true that it is the speed of the pendulum at the bottom of its swing that keeps it moving.
You did not say where exactly the mass was i.e. at the end of the pendulum or distributed --- r in the above means the distance to the center of mass if that's at the end of the rod then r is the pendulum length.
It's a simple pendulum. The mass is at the end of the rod.

I was getting the right answer all along.. I actually did the problem right myself before I started searching for help... I didn't notice that it was asking for the answer in cm.. sorry guys.. thanks for the help...

Related to What is the acceleration of a simple pendulum at the lowest point of its swing?

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth. It is often used in physics experiments to study the behavior of oscillating objects.

2. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the amplitude of the swing. The period is longer for longer pendulums, higher acceleration due to gravity, and larger amplitude swings.

3. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. As long as the length and acceleration due to gravity remain constant, the mass of the pendulum does not impact the time it takes for one full swing.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

5. How can the period of a simple pendulum be measured accurately?

The period of a simple pendulum can be measured accurately by using a stopwatch to time a certain number of swings and then dividing by the number of swings to get the average time for one swing. This process can be repeated multiple times to get a more precise measurement.