What is the acceleration of a jojo falling down a string?

• Thread starter olympiad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the problem is about a yoyo on a string with three cylinders and the question is to calculate the rotational inertia on a horizontal axis through the center of mass point, and the acceleration when the yoyo falls down the wire while maintaining the same alignment. Using Newton's 2nd law for rotation, the torque is equal to the rotational inertia times the acceleration. The rotational inertia is calculated as 1/2m1*R1^2 + m2*R2^2 + (m1+2m2)*R1^2 and the acceleration is (R1^2*g*(m1+2m2))/(m2*R2^2 + (1.5m1+2m2)*R1
olympiad
an interesting problem

I came along this problem, it is quite interesting. However, I have worked with the problem to long and than you can't see any new ways. So I thought, maybe you guys could try it with a fresh mind. Good luck, it is a tough one (or I fail to see something obvious)
imagine a jojo on a string which can be represented by three clinders, the middle one(with the wire around it) with mass m1 and diameter/2(I don't know what that is in english, in dutch it is straal)R1, and the two cilinders on the sides of it both have mass m2 and R2.
first give the rotational inertia on a horizontal axis through the center of mass point.
that was easy, 1/2m1*r1^2+m2*r2^2.
the second question was: calculate the accelaration when the jojo falls down( it rolls down the wire and the axis all stay in the same alignment).
here I got stuck. I thought, you can analyse the movement as a pure rotation around the point where the wire is connected to the middle cilinder. then the angular momentum becomes 1/2m1*r1^2+m2*r2^2+(m1+2m2)*r1^2 (paralel axes law.) speed is then expressable as (m1+2m2)hg=1/2(Ip)W^2. However, if you fill this in and try to express the speed, you get a gigantic formula that can't be right. I must be taking a wrong route, after all, I need the acceleration, not the speed, but I don't know how to come there.
Help would be greatly appreciated.(I am always a bit messy in my work, so it is possible that I made a mistake in the start of the answer)
sorry for my poor english, especially on physics therms.
faithfully,
olympiad..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might be better off posting each question in its own thread. That said:

Question 1:
How about considering this as an energy problem? You should be able to figure out the torque and angular distance the that yoyo goes through.

YoYo problem

olympiad said:
first give the angular momentum on an axis through the gravity point(center of mass point)
that was easy, 1/2m1*r1^2+m2*r2^2.
I assume the question was: calculate the rotational inertia about the center of mass? If so, that's fine. (What you are calling "angular momentum" is actually the rotational inertia.)
the second question was: calculate the accelaration when the jojo falls down( it rolls down the wire and the axis all stay in the same alignment).
here I got stuck. I thought, you can analyse the movement as a pure rotation around the point where the wire is connected to the middle cilinder. then the angular momentum becomes 1/2m1*r1^2+m2*r2^2+m1*r1^2 (paralel axes law.) speed is then expressable as (m1+2m2)hg=1/2(Ip)W^2.
Again, what you are calling "angular momentum" seems to be the rotational inertia. I believe that you made an error in applying the parallel axis theorem. Redo that calculation as you will need it.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with treating the motion as instantaneously a pure rotation. I wouldn't bother calculating the speed. Instead, calculate the acceleration directly using Newton's 2nd law for rotation. You know the torque about that point and the rotational inertia (recalculate it).

PS: I agree with NateG. Take your second problem and create a new thread. (Then delete that post in this thread.)

Of course, that's much more logical. I wanted to take the differential formula of the speed, but that's the hard way I guess.
so the T=FR. F is g(m1+2m2), R is R1. T is R1*g(m1+2m2). T=Ia. the mistake I made in using the parallel axes theorem was that I didn't use all the mass, isn't it? the therm added should be (m1+2m2)R1^2, so I is 1/2m1*R1^2+m2*R2^2+(m1+2m2)R1^2. a= T/I so a is (R1*g(m1+2m2))/(1/2m1*R1^2+m2*R2^2+(m1+2m2)R1^2). Then, At(acceleration of the center point) is a*R1. so At(what I need)=(R1^2*g(m1+2m2))/(m2*R2^2+(1.5m1+2m2)R1^2).
Somehow that doesn't seem right.
The problem is that it isn't possible to simplify the formula since i can't turn the divider into one therm.
Is this right then?
thanks

Last edited:
olympiad said:
Is this right then?
Looks right to me.

ok. Thanks for the help

Related to What is the acceleration of a jojo falling down a string?

What is the definition of an "interesting problem"?

An interesting problem is a question, puzzle, or challenge that requires a unique or creative approach to solve. It may also have multiple solutions or no clear solution at all.

What makes a problem "interesting"?

A problem can be considered interesting if it is thought-provoking, complex, or has real-world applications. It may also be considered interesting if it challenges traditional ways of thinking or requires a combination of skills to solve.

How do scientists approach solving interesting problems?

Scientists typically use the scientific method to approach solving interesting problems. This involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments or research, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion.

Can interesting problems be solved by one person or do they require collaboration?

It depends on the problem itself. Some interesting problems can be solved by one person, while others may require collaboration with other scientists or experts in different fields. Collaboration can bring diverse perspectives and skills to the problem-solving process.

What are the benefits of solving interesting problems?

Solving interesting problems can lead to new discoveries, advancements in science and technology, and a better understanding of the world around us. It can also stimulate critical thinking and creativity, and foster collaboration and communication among scientists.