What Is the Acceleration of a Car After 10 Seconds from Rest?

In summary, the problem given involves finding the acceleration of a car with a mass of 1000kg, 10 seconds after starting from rest and moving at a velocity of 40m/s. The relevant equation for this problem is a=vf-vi/t, and the mass of the car is not necessary to find the acceleration.
Justhelp

Homework Statement

Ten seconds after starting from rest, a car with a mass of 1000kg is moving at 40m/s. The acceleration of the car is?

Homework Equations

F=ma or a=vf-vi/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have m=1000kg
t=10s
d=40m/s

I am not sure if d is 40m/s though or is the force?
And with one of the formulas I picked I wouldn't be able to use 1000kg? I have a feeling that this problem requires two formulas.

Physics news on Phys.org

Justhelp said:
d=40m/s

I am not sure if d is 40m/s though or is the force?
And with one of the formulas I picked I wouldn't be able to use 1000kg? I have a feeling that this problem requires two formulas.

Just note that d is velocity of the car. The usual sign for velocity is u or v, and d or s is commonly used for distance/displacement.

So now, your initial velocity is 0, as it started from rest. You also know the final velocity, and the time interval to attain this final velocity(assuming constant acceleration) So, finding the acceleration shouldn't be a problem if you use one of those relevant equations :wink: And yes, you don't necessarily need the mass here. It can be used to calculate the force, but that doesn't concern the question...

All that is required is the basic definition of acceleration, which is the second equation you listed under 'relevant equations'.

Ah ok. I dislike when there is extra information or too little, I know it's how they try to mess you up. It makes me nervous as well thinking that there may be a formula that I don't know. But should. It's easier with too little information though.

Thank you.

Based on the given information, we can use the formula a=(vf-vi)/t to solve for the acceleration of the car. We know that the final velocity (vf) is 40m/s, the initial velocity (vi) is 0m/s (since the car was at rest), and the time (t) is 10s. Plugging these values into the formula, we get a=(40m/s-0m/s)/10s=4m/s^2. Therefore, the acceleration of the car is 4m/s^2.

Note that the force (F) is not given in the problem, so we cannot use the formula F=ma to solve for the acceleration. Also, the distance (d) of 40m/s is the final velocity, not the force. Keep in mind that acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time, and it is not the same as force or distance. I hope this helps clarify the problem!

Related to What Is the Acceleration of a Car After 10 Seconds from Rest?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of the change in an object's velocity over time. It is the rate at which an object's speed and/or direction changes.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units for acceleration?

The SI (International System of Units) unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

4. How does acceleration differ from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing. In other words, acceleration takes into account both speed and direction, while velocity only considers speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some examples of acceleration in everyday life include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going over a loop, and a ball being thrown into the air. Any time an object's speed or direction changes, acceleration is involved.