What is the 3D wave function and energy of an electron in an extended 1D well?

• Thread starter sgod88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    1d 3d
In summary, The conversation discusses the realization of a quantum well structure by sandwiching layers of semiconductor and insulators. The problem is initially treated as a 1D infinite well but is now considered as a 3D well with a length of L in the z direction. The potential function is zero between 0 and L, and infinite otherwise. The total energy and wave function of an electron in this well are discussed, with the Schrodinger equation being separated into three independent wave functions. The boundary conditions for x and y are unknown, but the wave function for z is determined to be a sine function. The conversation also mentions the assumption of periodic boundary conditions for x and y, and the implication that the wave function is not zero in
sgod88
1. Quantum well structure can be realized by sandwiching layers of semiconductor and two insulators.
This sandwiching problem was often treated with 1 D infinite well. Suppose now the problem is 3 dimensional well with length L at z direction from 0 to L, at which

V(x,y,z)= 0 when 0<z<L
infinity otherwise
where V(x) and V(y) is 0. We assume x and y be infinitely large.

Wht is the total energy and the wave function of the electron in such well?
2. I have done the separation of varibales in the Schrodinger equation and obtained the three independent wavefunction.
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\psi_{x_{i}}=E \psi_{x_{i}} [/tex]
But i don't know what is the boundary condition of the x and y.
I only got psi(z) is the psi of the one d wavefunction.
[tex]\psi_{z}=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n \pi z}{L})[/tex]
I just cannot get the constant for the wavefunctions for x and y.
I know that
[tex]\psi(x)=\psi(x+2\pi)[/tex]
but I still cannot get the value of the constant and the energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume periodic boundary conditions?

It is an infinite well. Remember, that means the wavefunction is zero at all boundaries of the well.

But now V(x,y,z)=V(z), where V is not a function of x and y anymore.
With this condition, in x and y, the wavefunction is certainly not zero, it is a free particle.
[tex]\psi_{x}=e^{i(kx-wt)}[/tex]

Related to What is the 3D wave function and energy of an electron in an extended 1D well?

1. What is an extended 1D well to 3D?

An extended 1D well to 3D is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a three-dimensional space. It is an extension of the 1D well, which is a simplified model that assumes the particle is confined to a one-dimensional space.

2. How is the extended 1D well to 3D different from the 1D well?

The extended 1D well to 3D differs from the 1D well in that it takes into account the additional dimensions of space and allows for more complex behavior of the particle. In the 1D well, the particle can only move back and forth in one direction, while in the extended 1D well to 3D, the particle can move in any direction within the confined space.

3. What are some real-world applications of the extended 1D well to 3D?

The extended 1D well to 3D has many applications in quantum mechanics and can be used to understand the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and crystals. It can also be applied in the study of semiconductors and superconductors.

4. How is the extended 1D well to 3D solved mathematically?

The extended 1D well to 3D is solved using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the energy of the system.

5. What are the limitations of the extended 1D well to 3D model?

The extended 1D well to 3D model is a simplified representation of quantum systems and has limitations in accurately predicting the behavior of particles in complex systems. It also does not take into account the effects of external forces and interactions between particles, which can significantly affect the behavior of the system.