What is teaching like in London?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of moving to London from the US, specifically in regards to teaching and general life in the city. It is noted that the weather in London is not extreme, with warm summers and mild winters. Football (soccer) is a popular sport in London, and there are also other sports teams and events. Teaching salaries in London are higher, but the cost of living is also high. The city has a diverse population and a lively nightlife. Overall, the conversation suggests that London is a desirable place to live, but it is recommended to visit first before making plans to move there permanently.
mattmns
I live in the US, but when I graduate I would like to move to the London area for a while, or even permanently. I am majoring in Math Education. What is teaching like in London? Good benefits(health), pay(compared to standard of living), etc? Also, what is general life like in London, weather, women, sports, etc? And finally, are the websites that have a domain of gov.uk (ie, teach.gov.uk) real govt sites for the UK? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Life in London: hmm, weather isn't that bad. In Summer it gets warm and hot, but not hot like 30 degrees C (more like mid 20s). It doesn't get too cold in Winter either, maybe the lowest is about -1 or -2 C and it rarely snows :(. Sports, well, this country is based around football (ie. soccer) so there are quite a few teams around. There's the London Towers basketball team (I think there's another team too, not sure) and of course Wimbledon. As for teaching, it depends where you go and of course on the individual teachers themselves. Oh and yes, those sites are official ones.

As for cost of living, you might have a shock there, but the pay is often proportionately higher.

I found a nifty little 'cost of living' tool you might want to have a look at, - http://www.easyexpat.com/mod/cost_en.htm

The London universities are, broadly speaking, excellent academically (and I'm talking about UCL, Imperial College), but then so are the 'red brick' universities of most large British cities. Are you sure you want to be in London, rather than any other city? It's probably the least British British city (well, in my humble opinion anyway), although this could be an attraction for you...

brewnog said:
As for cost of living, you might have a shock there, but the pay is often proportionately higher.

I found a nifty little 'cost of living' tool you might want to have a look at, - http://www.easyexpat.com/mod/cost_en.htm

Meaning that cost of living is high in London? According to teach.gov.uk the starting pay for a teacher is roughly £20,000, is this decent pay considering the cost of living(in london)?

And thanks for the responses, both of you :smile:

I've heard from a friend who has family in London that the cost of living is fantastically high...maybe he was exaggerating somewhat though :biggrin:

I live in london for all of my life and believe it's the best city in the world :biggrin: The night life is good and there's some really intressting people there and some not so intressting...

It's expensive to life there, but the pay you get is most then most other places.

You'll love london, but i recommed that you go there first to see what you think of it before you plan a career there though!

Related to What is teaching like in London?

What is the education system like in London?

The education system in London is known for its high-quality and diverse options. There are both state-funded and private schools available, with a wide range of curriculum choices. Additionally, London has several prestigious universities that attract students from all over the world.

Is there a high demand for teachers in London?

Yes, there is a high demand for teachers in London, particularly in certain subject areas such as science, math, and foreign languages. London is a large and growing city, so there is a consistent need for qualified teachers to fill positions in schools.

What is the average salary for teachers in London?

The average salary for teachers in London varies depending on experience and qualifications, but it is generally higher than other parts of the UK. According to the National Union of Teachers, the starting salary for a teacher in London is around £27,000, with the potential to increase with experience and additional responsibilities.

What are the main challenges of teaching in London?

Teaching in London can come with its own unique set of challenges, such as larger class sizes, diverse student populations, and high cost of living. It can also be demanding to keep up with the fast-paced lifestyle of the city. However, many teachers find the experience to be rewarding and fulfilling.

What resources and support are available for teachers in London?

There are a variety of resources and support available for teachers in London. Schools often have well-stocked libraries and access to technology, and there are also many professional development opportunities and networking events for teachers. Additionally, there are numerous organizations and unions that offer support and advice for teachers in the city.