What is Soak Back Temperature?

In summary, soak back temperature refers to the temperature at which a metal alloy begins to solidify after being melted and held at a constant temperature. This is an important factor in casting and welding processes, as it affects the quality and strength of the final product. Soak back temperature is determined by the composition of the alloy and can vary depending on the specific application and desired outcome. It is crucial for manufacturers to carefully control and monitor soak back temperature to ensure optimal results in their production processes.
stinsonbr
Could someone explain what an object's soak back temperature would be? My idea of what it is relates to an object's temperature peaking before cooling down due to the absorption of leftover energy (i.e. a car engine is being cooled by a fan. The fan and engine both shut off, and the engine temperature increases slightly before cooling down). Can anyone explain this in another way, or point me in the right direction if I'm off track?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

stinsonbr said:
Could someone explain what an object's soak back temperature would be? My idea of what it is relates to an object's temperature peaking before cooling down due to the absorption of leftover energy (i.e. a car engine is being cooled by a fan. The fan and engine both shut off, and the engine temperature increases slightly before cooling down). Can anyone explain this in another way, or point me in the right direction if I'm off track?

Can you post some links?

stinsonbr said:

Your explanation is right, I believe... If one considers, separately, the engine block plus cylinders, etc. and the coolant, what probably happens is that the mean temperature of the block, with the engine running, is always higher than that of the coolant. This temperature is kept stable by the coolant continually absorbing heat from the block, and continually delivering it to the outside air through the radiator. The temperature of the coolant is always lower than that of the block, because of the 'heat cascade'. Both temperatures, that of the block and of the coolant remain stable since the all the rejected heat of the engine is delivered to the coolant, and all that heat is delivered, in turn, to the outside air. All the heat energy rejected by the engine ends up in the surrounding air, while both the engine block and the coolant temperature, although different, remain constant.

But then you switch off the engine, the coolant flow stops, the radiator fan stops, and the coolant does not deliver any more heat to the air. But the engine block is still in contact with the coolant, and as its temperature is higher, it continues delivering heat to it. And that heat is no longer evacuated to the air. Hence, the engine block cools down, and the coolant heats up till an equilibrium is reached. The temperature of final equilibrium will depend, among other things, on the initial temperature of the block and the coolant, on the respective masses, and on the global specific heat of the block and of the coolant. But, for a given time after switching the engine off, the coolant temperature will rise...

Related to What is Soak Back Temperature?

1. What is soak back temperature?

Soak back temperature is a term used in metallurgy to describe the temperature at which a metal alloy begins to solidify during the cooling process. It is also known as the solidus temperature.

2. Why is soak back temperature important?

The soak back temperature is important because it indicates the point at which the alloy changes from a liquid to a solid state. This can affect the properties and characteristics of the final product, such as its strength and durability.

3. How is soak back temperature determined?

Soak back temperature is determined through various methods, including thermal analysis and visual observation. Thermal analysis involves measuring the temperature of the alloy as it cools, while visual observation involves monitoring the changes in the alloy's appearance as it solidifies.

4. What factors can affect soak back temperature?

Several factors can affect soak back temperature, including the composition of the alloy, the cooling rate, and the presence of impurities. The chemical composition of the alloy can significantly impact its soak back temperature.

5. How can soak back temperature be controlled?

The soak back temperature can be controlled through the manipulation of the alloy's composition and cooling process. By adjusting these factors, the soak back temperature can be optimized to produce the desired properties in the final product.