What is Saturn's Mass Using Kepler's Laws and Moon Data?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kepler's Laws and information on Saturn's moons to find the mass of Saturn. The data is plotted and a best-fit line is used to determine the slope, which can then be used to estimate Saturn's mass. The variables T^2 and r^3 are plotted on the y and x-axis respectively, and the data should fall on a straight line. Rescaling the values for easier plotting is recommended.
AnkhUNC

Homework Statement

I am told to find the mass of Saturn using Kepler's Laws and the following information on Saturn's moons:

Mimas
r = 185.52 x 106
t = 8.14 x 104
Enceladus
r = 238.02 x 106
t = 11.839 x 104
Tethys
r = 294.66 x 106
t = 16.311 x 104
Dione
r = 377.4 x 106
t = 23.647 x 104
Rhea
r = 527.04 x 106
t = 39.031 x 104

Homework Equations

T^2 = (4pi^2/G*M)*r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

So plotting the information on the moons I get a slope of 2E-24x + 320.16. But I'm not really sure where to go from here. Why was it important for me to find the slope in order to find M? Can't I just find M via M = (4pi^2/GT^2)r^3?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't say what variables you plotted for your graph, but you will not get a straight line if you simply plot T vs. r .

You are being asked to use the satellite data as points against which to fit a line. You will then get an experimental result for the mass of Saturn, M, from the slope you find. (You could find M from Newton's form of Kepler's Third Law, as you propose, but you will find that each moon's data gives you a slightly different value for M; you would still need to combine those results somehow. This is why the best-fit line is often used experimentally.)

You will need to plot T^2 vs. r^3 in order to get a straight line. The slope of the best-fit line through the five data points will then give you an estimate for [ 4·(pi^2) / GM ], from which you can then extract an estimate for M, since the value of G is known reliably to far more significant figures than you will need (as is pi).

So should I put t on the x and r on the y?

I believe your data gives orbital radii in meters and time in seconds. This means that your result for the slope will come out in SI and you will be able to get a value for Saturn's mass in kilograms (which you can then compare with references in texts or on the 'Net).

You will want to plot T^2 on the y-axis and r^3 on the x-axis. These will then function as effective variables Y = T^2 and X = r^3 , so that your data will fall on a line

Y = mX + b .

Given the form of Newton's extension of Kepler's Third Law (which you quoted), you should find a rather small value for b, the intercept of the line (ideally it would be zero, but you are working with real data) and a tiny value for m (on the order of 10^-15), which is your experimental estimate for [ 4·(pi^2) / GM ] .

You can make the values a bit easier to deal with by dividing your values for T^2 by 10^10 and those for r^3 by 10^25 , which will give numbers that are easier to plot or use in graphing software. This will keep you from getting extremely small output for m and b. You would then have to undo this rescaling by dividing your slope value by 10^15 before extracting the result for M. (The correct value for the line intercept would then be your result for b, multiplied by 10^10.)

EDIT: I fixed some of the exponents, as I was remembering planetary masses in grams, not kilograms. I tried out the plot I described a bit crudely and found that the slope is quite close to 1, making [ 4·(pi^2) / GM ] close to 1·10^-15 . Working carefully, you should get a rather satisfactory result for Saturn's mass in kilograms.

Last edited:

Related to What is Saturn's Mass Using Kepler's Laws and Moon Data?

1. What are Kepler's Laws?

Kepler's Laws are three scientific principles that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were formulated by Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century and are considered fundamental laws of planetary motion.

2. What is the first law of Kepler?

The first law, also known as the law of orbits, states that all planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one of the focal points.

3. What is the second law of Kepler?

The second law, also known as the law of areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times. This means that a planet moves faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

4. What is the third law of Kepler?

The third law, also known as the law of periods, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In simpler terms, this means that the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer its orbital period will be.

5. How are Kepler's Laws used in modern science?

Kepler's Laws continue to be used in modern science to understand and predict the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. They have also been instrumental in the development of Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.