What is r hat (^) like exactly and how do you calculate it?

In summary, r hat is a unit vector in the direction of a vector R. It can be calculated by dividing the vector R by its own magnitude. This can be done using the coordinates of two points or by using the magnitude and direction of the vector.
Mary O'Donovzn
OP warned about not using homework template

Homework Statement

What is r hat (^) like exactly and how do you calculate it?

I know that it is something to do with unit vectors and that it should be gotten in some form of cosi + sinj

like I had to input geometry co ordinates x1,y1 and stuff

Any help at all will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
A unit vector is a vector in some direction whose magnitude is unity (1). If you have some other vector in the same direction, say R, which is not of unit length, then you can create a unit vector in the same direction by calculating
$$\hat{r} = \frac{R}{|R|}$$
That is, divide the vector R by its own magnitude.

Okay so if I have a point (2,3) and a point (5,6) say ( I just made them up), do I calculate the distance between the points and divide it by its magnitude which is one?

You don't calculate the distance between the two, you calculate a vector between the two (distance AND direction). Then you divide it by the distance. For 2 points, r hat from point 1 to point 2 is given as such:
##\hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{|r|} = \frac{<x_2 - x_1 , y_2 - y_1>}{\sqrt{(x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2}} OR \frac{(x_2 - x_1) \hat{i} + ( y_2 - y_1)\hat{j}}{\sqrt{(x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2}}##

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
You don't calculate the distance between the two, you calculate a vector between the two (distance AND direction). Then you divide it by the distance. For 2 points, r hat from point 1 to point 2 is given as such:
r^=r⃗ |r|=<x2−x1,y2−y1>(x2−x1)2+(y2−y1)2√OR(x2−x1)i^+(y2−y1)j^(x2−x1)2+(y2−y1)2√

okay so do I not use any cos or sin just that formula? because that would be the answer to my problem

Are you referring specifically to the unit vector in the radial direction of a cylindrical polar coordinate system?

Chet

Last edited:
Mary O'Donovzn said:
okay so do I not use any cos or sin just that formula? because that would be the answer to my problem
You might use the sin and cos method if you're given a vector in polar form (magnitude and angle). You would then use sin and cos to create the rectangular components of a unit vector with the same angle.

It depends on what you have given. If you have 2 coordinates, no, you don't use cos or sin. But if you have a length and a direction, say 10m pointed at 45 degrees, then yes, you would break it into components using sins and cos's. For that you'd just use basic trig.

See I must sub in a magnitude and 2d coordinates and get out the force acting on each...Like I literally have no idea because I missed all this last year I missed whole term because I was sick and they didn't allow any books or things to like concentrate on and my teacher reckons I could have been studying (my brain would have exploded basically if I did) and she won't help

Mary O'Donovzn said:
See I must sub in a magnitude and 2d coordinates and get out the force acting on each...Like I literally have no idea because I missed all this last year I missed whole term because I was sick and they didn't allow any books or things to like concentrate on and my teacher reckons I could have been studying (my brain would have exploded basically if I did) and she won't help
Poor baby. Now, please answer my question in post #6.

Chet

Whats the actual problem? Rhat is literally just a unit vector in the direction of r. You can draw a right triangle with the hypotenuse r and pointing in the same direction, and use various methods to solve for r. Then divide that by its magnitude (which will not necessarily be one, r is different than rhat)

Related to What is r hat (^) like exactly and how do you calculate it?

1. What is r hat (^)?

R hat, also known as the correlation coefficient, is a statistical measure that indicates the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It is represented by the symbol r and can range from -1 to 1.

2. How do you calculate r hat (^)?

R hat is calculated by dividing the covariance of two variables by the product of their standard deviations. This can be done using a formula or with the help of statistical software.

3. What does a positive/negative r hat value mean?

A positive r hat value indicates a positive correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase. A negative r hat value indicates a negative correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease.

4. What does an r hat value of 0 mean?

An r hat value of 0 indicates no correlation between the two variables, meaning that there is no relationship between them.

5. How can r hat be used in data analysis?

R hat can be used to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables, which can help in identifying patterns and making predictions in data analysis. It can also be used to compare the relationship between different sets of variables.