What is quantum entanglement and how it effects the space-time

In summary: Basically, if you can do the calculations in one step you can do them in the other.So basically, we have no idea about why entanglement exists, so we call it a property of our universe.
Dhruv007
Can anyone explain me ; -

What is quantum entanglement and how it effects the space-time and matter in our universe??

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you search this forum for previous discussions or Google?

Saw a lecture on it on YouTube. But didn’t quite understand it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Check out the wikipage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

In general it's an advanced topic, so you should have taken a Quantum Mechanics course before venturing into it.

I haven’t taken any courses on physics. Just read and understand stuff that seems interesting to me. And thanks for the link.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Check out the wikipage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

In general it's an advanced topic, so you should have taken a Quantum Mechanics course before venturing into it.

What i want to know is ;-
Why does it occur and how does it occur.

Dhruv007 said:
What i want to know is ;-
Right, but like I said, this is a very advanced topic and if you don't have any physics background it will not be possible to understand. Start with mastering classical physics first.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Right, but like I said, this is a very advanced topic and if you don't have any physics background it will not be possible to understand. Start with mastering classical physics first.

Dont worry. I have a stong background

Dhruv007 said:
Dont worry. I have a stong background
So after reading the wiki page, what are your specific questions? The page does touch on "Why does it occur and how does it occur."

Greg Bernhardt said:
So after reading the wiki page, what are your specific questions? The page does touch on "Why does it occur and how does it occur."

I understand the definition. But i want the details about how it occurs. The why can be left.

Hi Dhruv007,
Dhruv007 said:
I haven’t taken any courses on physics. Just read and understand stuff that seems interesting to me.
Then it could be a little tricky, but I'll give it a try...
Dhruv007 said:
What is quantum entanglement
Quick and dirty: A measured correlation of the properties of two objects, regardless of e.g. the distance between the objects.
Dhruv007 said:
and how it effects the space-time and matter in our universe??
This is not entirely clear at the moment, it is being thought of and studied.
Dhruv007 said:
Why? Because that is a feature of our Universe. :smile:
How? See e.g. SPDC (which is an example)

You can watch this clip, where the quantum physicist Anton Zeilinger describes entanglement (at 1:30 into the clip and onwards) and a variety of experiments/applications:
Anton Zeilinger - Quantum Information and Entanglement

You can also have a look at EPR paradox.

Likes BCHC and Greg Bernhardt
DennisN said:
Hi Dhruv007,

Then it could be a little tricky, but I'll give it a try...

Quick and dirty: A measured correlation of the properties of two objects, regardless of e.g. the distance between the objects.

I get the definition thanx.

This is not entirely clear at the moment, it is being thought of and studied.

I thought so.

Why? Because that is a feature of our Universe. :smile:

So basically, we have no idea about why entanglement exists, so we call it a property of our universe.

How? See e.g. SPDC (which is an example)

SPDC was quite simple to understand. Thanks fot recommending it.

You can watch this clip, where the quantum physicist Anton Zeilinger describes entanglement (at 1:30 into the clip and onwards) and a variety of experiments/applications:
Anton Zeilinger - Quantum Information and Entanglement

You can also have a look at EPR paradox.

And i have already read the EPR paradox.

Quantum entanglement is a simple consequence of the principle of superposition. It says if a system can be in state |a> or in state |b> then it can also be in state c1*|a> + c2*|b> where c1 and c2 are complex numbers. For definiteness in what follows I will take them as 1/√2.

Now take two systems, system 1 and 2, which can be in state |a> or state |b>. If system 1 is in state |a> and system 2 in state |b> that is written as state |a>|b> and conversely if system 1 is state |b> and system 2 in state |a> that is written as state |b>|a> . Now let's apply the principle of superposition to this combined system so a possible state is 1/√2|a>|b> + 1/√2|b>|a>. In fact some think it is the basis of QM but that is another story - start a separate thread if you want to go it it - its associated with Hardy's axioms:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0101012.pdf

It turns out the continuity assumption is logically equivalent to entanglement:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0911.0695

The systems are said to be entangled - it is a peculiar state of affairs with no classical analogue. It has no relation to space-time. It's relation to matter and how we perceive it lies in something called de-coherence - but it can't be explained simply. You should really study it:
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5439/1/Decoherence_Essay_arXiv_version.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540357734/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Dhruv007 said:
So basically, we have no idea about why entanglement exists, so we call it a property of our universe. . (my bolding)
Yeah, but the same goes for every other physics concept; we have no idea why [insert any physics concept here] exists, it is a feature of our Universe.

I further recommend Richard Feynman who in this video elegantly describes the problems with "why questions": :smile:

DennisN said:
Yeah, but the same goes for every other physics concept; we have no idea why [insert any physics concept here] exists, it is a feature of our Universe.

I further recommend Richard Feynman who in this video elegantly describes the problems with "why questions": :smile:

Thanx. Video was quite helpful

Related to What is quantum entanglement and how it effects the space-time

What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described without considering the state of the other particle, even if they are separated by large distances.

How does quantum entanglement occur?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact and become entangled, meaning their quantum states become correlated. This can happen through various processes such as particle collisions, photon emissions, or interactions with an external force.

What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, as entangled particles can affect each other instantaneously regardless of distance.

How does quantum entanglement affect space-time?

Quantum entanglement has been shown to exist across large distances, even on a cosmic scale. This means that the entangled particles are not bound by the restrictions of space and time, and their entangled state can remain intact regardless of the distance between them.

Can quantum entanglement be used for communication?

While quantum entanglement has been shown to have potential applications in secure communication, it cannot be used for instantaneous communication or to transmit information faster than the speed of light. This is due to the fact that the entangled particles themselves cannot be used to transmit information, but rather their correlated states can be observed and measured to infer information about the particles.