What is phase difference and how to visualize it?

In summary: But if you were out at sea and watched the tide come in, you would see the water coming in at a higher tide, and then as it receded, you would see the water coming in at a lower tide. The height of the tide would be the phase difference between the two waves. The height of the tide is the phase difference between the two waves.
vijayramakrishnan
what is phase difference and how to visualize it?
i can understand it pretty well for sinusoidal waves,but how to visualize it for other type of waves like spherical waves,plane waves etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
A spherical wave and a plane wave? Are you referring to the shape of the wavefront?

Check out interference

Suraj M said:
A spherical wave and a plane wave? Are you referring to the shape of the wavefront?
yes sir

BvU said:
Check out interference
thank you for replying sir,but i want to know the physical significance of phase angle.like A means the maximum displacement of the particle,time period is the time after which the wave pattern repeats itself and wavelength is the length after which wave pattern repeats itself,so what is the physical significance of phase angle and what does it mean if two waves are in phase or out of phase and how does it change if the wave is not longitudinal ?

I don't think you took gneills advice
gneill said:
You should be able to do a bit of research to find an explanation. Did you try a web search on "string vibration modes"? Do so and take a look at the Hyperphysics web page (Standing Waves on a String) that turns up in the search results.
Try this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_angle

Suraj M said:
I don't think you took gneills advice

Try this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_angle
sir,i didn't receive gneills comment in my alerts.and i did try many sources including my textbook,reference book,video lectures but all websites treat phase angle only as something that comes in sine wave equation but i don't understand it's physical significance like i do for amplitude A,T,k. these values are independent of wave equation they can be defined without referring to wave equation but why phase angles definition always refer to wave equation?
this is a statement in my textbook"the two spherical sound waves have constant phase difference" how should i visualize this situation?

If you really understand it for sinusoidal waves, then you should have no problem. The meaning and relevance of the phase angle is the same no matter what is the shape of the wave-fronts or polarization. All these cases (spherical waves versus plane waves, transverse waves versus longitudinal waves) can be sine waves as well.
You may have a problem with understanding this aspect too.

vijayramakrishnan said:
but i want to know the physical significance of phase angle.like A means the maximum displacement of the particle,time period is the time after which the wave pattern repeats itself and wavelength is the length after which wave pattern repeats itself,so what is the physical significance of phase angle and what does it mean if two waves are in phase or out of phase

You're making it harder than necessary. Phase angle has to do with the timing. Two waves are out of phase if they reach maximum displacement at different times. That applies whether or not they are sinusoidal.

Likes davenn
nasu said:
If you really understand it for sinusoidal waves, then you should have no problem. The meaning and relevance of the phase angle is the same no matter what is the shape of the wave-fronts or polarization. All these cases (spherical waves versus plane waves, transverse waves versus longitudinal waves) can be sine waves as well.
You may have a problem with understanding this aspect too.
yes i think i have a problem with that aspect only.i know they can be sine waves as well when you plot a graph between their amplitude or pressure with x and t.does phase angle have no other definition apart from being an angle in sine equation?and you told that spherical waves can also be sinusoidal,and 2 waves are dais to be in phase when
they are like this
220px-Sine_waves_same_phase.svg.png

how to represent the same when they are spherical ?

anorlunda said:
You're making it harder than necessary. Phase angle has to do with the timing. Two waves are out of phase if they reach maximum displacement at different times. That applies whether or not they are sinusoidal.
yes sir,i understand but that timing becomes easy to explain when they are sinusoidal like in trasnverse waves but iam unable to understand that timing in longitudinal waves(like spherical waves and plane waves)
please explain that like you explain it to a novice,if possible through a real life example.

vijayramakrishnan said:
yes sir,i understand but that timing becomes easy to explain when they are sinusoidal like in trasnverse waves but iam unable to understand that timing in longitudinal waves(like spherical waves and plane waves)
please explain that like you explain it to a novice,if possible through a real life example.

If you stand in one place and watch on of those other waves go by, you see a sinusoid. Think of the ocean tide. It is a wa e, but measured against a wall at the shore it just goes up and down in a sine wave.

The phase angle ##\theta## tells you where you are in the period. So a bit like time, but it jumps back to 0 after one full period.
Does this nice picture help ?

vijayramakrishnan said:
yes i think i have a problem with that aspect only.i know they can be sine waves as well when you plot a graph between their amplitude or pressure with x and t.does phase angle have no other definition apart from being an angle in sine equation?and you told that spherical waves can also be sinusoidal,and 2 waves are dais to be in phase when
they are like this
220px-Sine_waves_same_phase.svg.png

how to represent the same when they are spherical ?
I think that now I see where you problem it.
You confound the graph of the displacement versus time with the actual shape of a wave on a string.

The representation of the displacement vesus time for a given point has nothing to with the shape of the wave-fronts or the polarization.
It will look the same for a longitudinal wave.
In a longitudinal wave you represent the longitudinal displacement on the vertical axis versus time on the horizontal axis. The graph will look the same as above.The fact that the displacement is is represented on the vertical axis does not make it transverse. The horizontal axis is time and not the direction of propagation.

nasu said:
I think that now I see where you problem it.
You confound the graph of the displacement versus time with the actual shape of a wave on a string.

The representation of the displacement vesus time for a given point has nothing to with the shape of the wave-fronts or the polarization.
It will look the same for a longitudinal wave.
In a longitudinal wave you represent the longitudinal displacement on the vertical axis versus time on the horizontal axis. The graph will look the same as above.The fact that the displacement is is represented on the vertical axis does not make it transverse. The horizontal axis is time and not the direction of propagation.
so do all waves basically look like sinusoidal waves?
but when you dip 2 fingers in water simultaneously,we can see two spherical waves emerging and they superimpose,how can we say that they are in phase or not?

vijayramakrishnan said:
so don't wavefronts represent the shape of waves and do all waves basically look like sinusoidal waves?
but when you dip 2 fingers in water simultaneously,we can see two spherical waves emerging and they superimpose,how can we say that they are in phase or not?

BvU said:
The phase angle ##\theta## tells you where you are in the period. So a bit like time, but it jumps back to 0 after one full period.
Does this nice picture help ?
yes sir,i understand it well but please explain the same for this exmple,dipping two fingers in water produces spherical waves,now how can we tell that these are in phase or not?since they don't look like sinusoidal

anorlunda said:
If you stand in one place and watch on of those other waves go by, you see a sinusoid. Think of the ocean tide. It is a wa e, but measured against a wall at the shore it just goes up and down in a sine wave.
yes sir,i understand it well but please explain the same for this exmple,dipping two fingers in water produces spherical waves,now how can we tell that these are in phase or not?since they don't look like sinusoidal

They do look sinusoids like all if you watch them go by one point. One point, not the whole surface.

anorlunda said:
They do look sinusoids like all if you watch them go by one point. One point, not the whole surface.
what does "look by one point"mean?does it mean we have to look the trajectory of motion of one particle in water?

vijayramakrishnan said:
what does "look by one point"mean?does it mean we have to look the trajectory of motion of one particle in water?

Imagine a pole stuck in the bottom with the top above water. The position of that pole is one point. As the wave passes the pole, the pole sees the water level go up and down sinusoidally. The pole does not see the same wave other places, just that one point.

anorlunda said:
Imagine a pole stuck in the bottom with the top above water. The position of that pole is one point. As the wave passes the pole, the pole sees the water level go up and down sinusoidally. The pole does not see the same wave other places, just that one point.
so basically are all waves sinusoidal in nature,sound waves,light waves?

Related to What is phase difference and how to visualize it?

What is phase difference?

Phase difference refers to the difference in the phase of two waves with the same frequency. In simpler terms, it is the amount by which two waves are out of sync with each other.

How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference is measured in degrees or radians. It is calculated by finding the angular difference between the two waves at a specific point in time.

Why is phase difference important?

Phase difference is important because it affects the interference and superposition of waves. It can also impact the quality and clarity of signals in communication systems.

How can phase difference be visualized?

Phase difference can be visualized through graphs, diagrams, and animations. These visualizations show the relative positions and amplitudes of the two waves, making it easier to understand the concept.

What factors can cause phase difference?

Phase difference can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in medium, distance between waves, and differences in frequency or amplitude. It can also be deliberately introduced in some applications, such as audio mixing and signal processing.