What is my next logical step in programming?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the next logical step in programming is to continue learning and practicing new languages, tools, and techniques. This can include expanding knowledge in specific areas such as web development, data analytics, or mobile app development, or broadening skills by exploring different types of programming languages. It is also important to stay updated on new technologies and industry trends, and to actively engage in problem-solving and critical thinking to improve coding abilities. Networking with other programmers and participating in coding challenges can also help to further develop skills and advance in the field of programming.
yungman
I am finishing up the whole book of the brief version of Gaddis from cover to cover. I want to get suggestion what is the next logical step. So far I thought about the two option:
1) I have the Gaddis complete book on C++ which have 5 more chapters mostly on data structure.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321545885/?tag=pfamazon01-20 I also have the Schaum's book on data structure with C++. This is one option I can study.

2) I have the Gaming and Graphics with C++ by Gaddishttps://www.amazon.com/dp/032151291X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 I can study this book. Should be more interesting than work only in cmd window.

I am open to other suggestions, even learning other programs like HTML, java script etc.

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
What are your interests? Are there applications and things that you want to do with your programs? There are far too many computer languages and subjects to just ask an open question like that.

I think it would be good to go through Gaddis again on the areas you are still having trouble with, e.g. pointers.

Likes yungman
FactChecker said:
What are your interests? Are there applications and things that you want to do with your programs? There are far too many computer languages and subjects to just ask an open question like that.
That's a very good question, I honestly don't know. I don't think I know enough to say what is my interest in programming.

I am not very good with computers(not talking about hardware, heaven forbid! I have enough for two lives already), I want to learn more about how to deal with computers like IT. I want to go a little deeper. That's why I put java script and html in the mix.

I also am impressed in the tv shows on anti hacking, it's like a war between the two sides.

I really don't know, it all started out with my grandson(3rd year in CS) said he need some motivation and I said how about grandpa nipping on your heal! That's when I decided to learn C++

Another big reason I picked up C++ is because I need exercise for my old brain. This is very important for me. I have been doing electronics projects like designing very high end hi-fi amps. BUT the problem is electronics is my strong suit, even if I don't know any particular field, it's not hard to learn, like you guys picking up a new language, it's easy peezy. I need more and believe me, C++ is a handful for me. Nothing like start out from ground scratch. It is a humbling experience.

Honestly, I don't have any serious goal in programming, I definitely am NOT looking for a job or career. I guess I am just adventurous, sitting home, playing crossword puzzle is not an option. I hate bingo, I hate gambling. So that ruled out a lot of senior citizen's interest. I need a lot more. So I am open for opinions.

Thanks

My recommendation is to spend more time on C++ rather than start in on HTML or Javascript. HTML would be very easy, but Javascript is mostly easier than C++, but there are a few parts of it that are tricky; e.g., closures. My concern about C++ is that if you start in on something fairly different, you'll forget some of the parts of C++ that you struggled with. Some more time with C++ would help cement your understanding.

Two suggestions, one that is in line with V50's suggestion:
1. Go through the longer Gaddis book. You could probably skip most of the beginning chapters, up to the one where pointers are presented. Spend extra time on pointers and classes.
2. Go through the other Gaddis book on games and graphics.

You could do both in parallel. When you get tired of the first book, you could spend a few weeks on the other book.

My 2 cents ...

Likes yungman
Mark44 said:
My recommendation is to spend more time on C++ rather than start in on HTML or Javascript. HTML would be very easy, but Javascript is mostly easier than C++, but there are a few parts of it that are tricky; e.g., closures. My concern about C++ is that if you start in on something fairly different, you'll forget some of the parts of C++ that you struggled with. Some more time with C++ would help cement your understanding.

Two suggestions, one that is in line with V50's suggestion:
1. Go through the longer Gaddis book. You could probably skip most of the beginning chapters, up to the one where pointers are presented. Spend extra time on pointers and classes.
2. Go through the other Gaddis book on games and graphics.

You could do both in parallel. When you get tired of the first book, you could spend a few weeks on the other book.

My 2 cents ...
That's kind of what I've been thinking. I started it, I need to complete to a certain point. I am pretty sure I only scratch the surface so far. And yes, just because I learn it doesn't mean I can apply all the stuffs I learn. Obviously I posted two stupid thread lately that if I remember all the stuffs I learned, I should know better. One just today that I forgot the array by itself is a pointer to the first element. The other one is declaration of class object with arguments! Then the array of pointers!

That's why I mention as #1 about the complete version of Gaddis. I have that already, the same 6th edition. I compare, the first 15 chapters are exactly the same. Actually I have been using the CD that came with the book for my brief version since chapter 12. There is no difference except have 5 more chapters. So I can just move right onto chapter 16.

Thanks

Vanadium 50 said:
I think it would be good to go through Gaddis again on the areas you are still having trouble with, e.g. pointers.
I did not see you post just now. Yes, I sure did going through the whole chapter of pointer just two days ago. I needed that. Old brain just don't retain stuffs, it leaks out as fast as it goes in!

thanks

I've gone that route before but wor project rule what languages to consider so I've gone from:
- fortran
- cobol
- assembler

and then when the PC became popular:
- c then c++
- java
- python

and now I'm looking at Go (Golang) as a good systems language to replace stuff I've done in Python.

My Java projects started around 1998 when my company took an interest in it and started doing a lot of enterprise level programming using java server coding and applets as replacement for HTML. But applets were a problem from the time to download issue and the potential security issues of custom code running in a sandbox on your local machine and so around 2002 or so Javascript took over on the web client side.

Python has gotten a lot of press for its use in Machine Learning where you get to use established libraries to construct your learning application. However, python implementations can become very blotted aka Anaconda distributions and so folks are turning to Go for production level machine learning.

There's a convergence of machine learning as a microservice and docker as a means to package microservices and Go as the preferred implementation for microservices. Go is like C reimagined for the internet age. Its principal designers have connections back to Bell Labs and Brian Kernighan cowrote an excellent book on it.

To get an idea about Go (use golang for searching though) checkout:

www.gobyexample.com

or learnxinyminutes.com select Go (or any of the other langs which may interest you more)

Likes sysprog

1. What programming language should I learn next?

The answer to this question depends on your current skill level and your goals. If you are just starting out, it may be beneficial to continue with a language you are already familiar with. If you want to expand your skill set, consider learning a language that is in high demand, such as Python or Java.

2. Should I focus on learning a specific framework or technology?

Again, the answer to this question depends on your goals. If you have a specific career path in mind, it may be beneficial to learn a framework or technology that is commonly used in that field. However, if you want to have a broad understanding of programming, it may be more beneficial to learn multiple languages and technologies.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in programming?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. Find coding challenges and try to solve them on your own. Additionally, seek out feedback from more experienced programmers and learn from their approaches to problem-solving.

4. Should I specialize in a specific area of programming?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Some programmers prefer to specialize in a specific area, such as web development or data analysis, while others prefer to have a broad range of skills. Consider your interests and goals when deciding whether to specialize.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning programming?

Learning programming can be challenging and it's important to stay motivated. Set small, achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. Find a community of fellow programmers to connect with and seek support and advice when needed. And most importantly, remember why you started learning programming in the first place and keep that motivation in mind.