What is meant by the unique integers Q and R in the quotient remainder theorem?

In summary, there exist unique integers Q and R such that A= B * Q + R where 0 ≤ R < B. This means that there is only one way to find a quotient and remainder. The proof for this type of problem involves showing both existence and uniqueness, which can be broken down into two parts. For existence, the integers are totally ordered, and by considering the set T = {nB ∈ S: nB > A}, we can find a least element of the form kB, which leads to our choice of Q = k-1 and R = A - QB. This may seem abstract, but it is a valid proof of existence. For uniqueness, it is shown that if there are any other integers Q
tmt1
Given any integer A, and a positive integer B, there exist unique integers Q and R such that
$$A= B * Q + R$$ where $$ 0 ≤ R < B$$.

When is says that $$Q$$ and $$R$$ are unique, what does that mean? That they are different from each other?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It means that, if $Q'$ and $R'$ are any two integers such that $A=Q' B+R'$, with $0\le R'<B$, then $Q=Q'$ and $R=R'$. That is, there's only one way to find a quotient and remainder.

If something is true, we ought to be able to *prove* it. A proof of this type breaks down into two parts:

a) Existence
b) Uniqueness

For existence, I will consider only $A > 0$. The case $A = 0$ is trivial:

$0 = 0B + 0$.

I urge you to try to adapt my proof for $A > 0$ to the $A < 0$ case (you'll have to make a small adjustment, since we want the remainder $R$ to be positive, and so multiplying through by $-1$ won't work.

However, if $A,Q < 0$, and:

$A = QB + R$ where $B < R \leq 0$, you may find it profitable to consider:

$A = (Q - 1)B + (R + B)$).

The trick here lies in the fact that the integers are TOTALLY ORDERED. In other words, given two integers $k,m$, exactly one of the following holds:

1. $k = m$
2. $k > m$
3. $k < m$.

Now, it may seem like I'm "passing the buck." This is true. To prove the integers are, in fact, totally ordered, I would have to prove a similar fact about natural numbers. And to prove the natural numbers are totally ordered, I would have to go deeper into facts about "well-orderedness" and induction which are often just assumed "axiomatically" (that is-whatever we conceive "natural numbers" to be, we want them to be totally ordered). That's a big can of worms.

So, I will take as given the "trichotomy rule" (1 - 3) above. This is, at least, intuitively plausible.

So, first, let's compare $A$ to $B$. If $A < B$, then we can write:

$A = 0B + A$, (that is $Q = 0$ and $R = A$), and this satisfies our requirements for $Q$ and $R$.

If $A = B$, we can write:

$A = 1B + 0$ (that is, $Q = 1$ and $R = 0$), which also fits our restrictions on $Q$ and $R$.

So the only "interesting" case, is when $A > B$.

Consider the set $S = \{B,2A,3A,\dots\}$ of all positive integral multiples of $B$. We want to focus on the SUBSET:

$T = \{nB \in S: nB > A\}$.

The point being, here, that $T$ is non-empty, for if *every* multiple of $B$ were less than or equal to $A$, we would have:

$A > nB \geq n$, for every natural number $n$, because $B > 0$, and thus $B \geq 1$.

Since $A$ is, in fact, a natural number (a positive integer always is), and $A < A + 1$ (and $A + 1$ is *also* a natural number), $A$ cannot simultaneously be greater than *every* natural number and *also* less that some *particular* natural number. So $A > nB$ for every $n$ cannot be true, as it leads to a contradiction. This proves the set $T$ is non-empty.

Since $T$ is a non-empty set of natural numbers, it has a least element (again, we are leveraging the "total order" on the natural numbers, and the fact that the natural numbers are bounded below by $0$). This least element of $T$ is of the form:

$kB$, for some positive integer $k$. Pick $Q = k-1$.

Now $QB \leq A < (Q+1)B$, by our choice of $Q$.

(What we have done, in naive terms, is: keeping adding $B$ to itself, until we find a multiple $QB$ with:

$QB \leq A < (Q+1)B$, which is what you would do in actual practice if you actually had to find a specific $Q$).

It follows that $0 \leq A - QB < B$, so we may take $R = A - QB$, and thus:

$QB + R = QB + (A - QB) = A$.

This may be hard for you to follow-existence proofs are often "vague" in this way-we seemed to have proven something, but it seems all very far-removed from reality. This is the nature of the beast. There is a select few mathematicians, who only believe a thing exists if you can "make" it, out of other "known" things. This is not such an indefensible view, but I must warn you-it is not the majority opinion. If you feel you belong to this breed, refer to the section where I say: "What we have done, in naive terms..."

That's really the hard part, producing at least ONE $Q,R$. For example, with $A = 21$ and $B = 5$, we find that:

$4 \cdot 5 = 20 < 21$
$5 \cdot 5 = 25 > 21$,

so we take $Q = 4$, and thus $R = 21 - 20 = 1$.

With existence established, uniqueness is easy:

Suppose $A = Q'B + R' = QB + R$. We will suppose $R \geq R'$ (if not, just switch which $Q,R$ pair has the "primes").

Thus $0 = (Q - Q')B + (R - R')$.

Now $R - R' = (Q' - Q)B$ is a multiple of $B$, but $0 \leq R - R' < R < B$, so we conclude that $R - R' = 0$, in which case, from:

$0 = (Q' - Q)B$, and the fact that $B > 0$ we have immediately that $Q' - Q = 0$, that is $Q = Q'$, and we have uniqueness.

Deveno's reply is certainly a good proof. Here's another way to look at it. When you were taught to do division of $A$ by $B$, you learned that you first found the quotient $Q$ and then the remainder $R$ is $A-BQ$. Example: 16 divided by 5 has quotient 3 and then remainder $16-3\cdot 5=1$. So the only problem is the quotient $Q$.
If you've studied calculus, you probably ran into the greatest integer function, also called the floor function. I will assume this function exists (as in Deveno's post, this can be proved using properties of the real numbers). For any $x\in R$, the floor function is defined by $\lfloor x\rfloor$ is the greatest integer less than or equal to $x$; i.e. floor(x) is less than or equal to x, but floor(x) + 1 is not less than or equal to x or x < floor(x) + 1. In symbols, $\lfloor x\rfloor\leq x<\lfloor x\rfloor+1$
Back to the problem of finding $Q$. Set $Q=\lfloor A/B\rfloor$, an integer. Then we have
$$Q\leq A/B<Q+1$$
Multiply this inequality by $B>0$
$$BQ\leq A<BQ+B \text{ and so }0\leq A-BQ<B$$
As above, $$\text{Set }R=A-BQ\text{, an integer, }\text{ and then }A=BQ+R\text{ with }0\leq R<B$$
One advantage of the above existence proof is that it is valid for any $A$, positive, negative or zero. Finally, I can't improve on Deveno's uniqueness proof.

Last edited:

Related to What is meant by the unique integers Q and R in the quotient remainder theorem?

1. What is the Quotient Remainder Theorem?

The Quotient Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that when two integers, a and b, are divided, there will always be a quotient (Q) and a remainder (R) such that a = bQ + R, where R is less than b.

2. How is the Quotient Remainder Theorem used in mathematics?

The Quotient Remainder Theorem is used in various mathematical operations, such as division and polynomial long division. It allows us to determine the quotient and remainder when dividing two numbers, which can be useful in solving equations and finding factors of polynomials.

3. What is the difference between a quotient and a remainder?

A quotient is the result of dividing two numbers, while a remainder is the amount left over after division. For example, when dividing 7 by 2, the quotient is 3 and the remainder is 1.

4. Can the Quotient Remainder Theorem be applied to non-integer numbers?

No, the Quotient Remainder Theorem only applies to integer numbers. If non-integer numbers are divided, the result may include a decimal or fractional part, which cannot be used to calculate a quotient and remainder.

5. How is the Quotient Remainder Theorem related to modular arithmetic?

The Quotient Remainder Theorem is closely related to modular arithmetic, as it is used to find the remainder when two numbers are divided using modular arithmetic. It is also used to solve equations involving modular arithmetic.