What is meant by multiplication in physics?

In summary: If ##\Delta \vec{r} = t \vec{v}##, then the distance you go ##|\Delta \vec{r}| = t|\vec{v}|##. Or better still, for non-constant velocities, a distance is an integral of speed (which is itself the magnitude of velocity).
SSG-E
Homework Statement
What is the meaning behind multiplication in physics? Is multiplication in physics purely mathematical or there is a physical explanation to it? How do we explain the product for example, S = v.t ? Is there any meaning behind this? For example, I can say that "Distance is defined as the sum of velocity 'time' times". But what does this even mean?
Relevant Equations
S = v.t
s = v.t

Physics news on Phys.org
"Multiplication in physics" is rather vague. In school we learn that there is one and only one multiplication. After a few semesters of mathematics or physics one quickly realizes that what multiplication really is strongly depends on the objects your talking about. Vectors? Matrices? Polynoms? p-forms? Spaces?

In your case, I'll assume you talk about the standard multiplication as we learn it for natural numbers. I'ld say the most intuitive understanding comes from looking at integrals:
Think of a graph where you plotted velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. If your velocity is constant, the graph will just be a straight line. We now know that the integral of a function (in this case the function is v(t), i.e. velocity at a given time) is just the area below the graph, i.e. some kind of rectangle. And the area of that rectangle is easily computed (even without doing any integration) as length times height, or in our case velocity times time: Voila.

Okay, you asked for a more physical interpretation. How about this: If you travel at 5 meters per second, it means that (per definition) you travel 5 meters in one second (duh!). For any other period of time, say 10 seconds, you could just might just as well travel 10 times for 1 second each: Thats a product!

Ehm... did that help?

Likes SSG-E
Thanks It helped me a lot.
Can you give me another physical example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes McFisch
SSG-E said:
Can you give me another physical example?
Suppose you took a job at $20 per hour, and you worked 10 hours. How much money would you expect to be paid and why?

PeroK said:
Suppose you took a job at $20 per hour, and you worked 10 hours. How much money would you expect to be paid and why?
20*10 = $200

SSG-E said:
20*10 = $200
Why multiply? What's the "physical explanation"?

PeroK said:
Why multiply?
As I get $20 for 1 hour so,
for 10 hours I will get
20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20
= 20*10
= $200

SSG-E said:
20*10 = $200

It can also be helpful to look at dimensions for justification, ##\text{dollars}\,\text{hr}^{-1} \times \text{hr} = \text{dollars}##

Just in case you're interested, I thought I might add a little note about your example. Quantities like displacement and velocity are more completely described as vectors. In the absence of any acceleration, you can say ##\vec{d} = t\vec{v}##. Since ##\vec{d}## and ##\vec{v}## are really arrows, this just means that the ##\vec{d}## is ##t## times as long as the ##\vec{v}## arrow.

Now you might then choose to establish these vectors in a chosen coordinate system, in which case you can now consider equations pertaining to the components. You can now say things like ##\Delta x = v_x t##, where all of those numbers are ordinary scalars and the multiplication just ordinary multiplication.

You have to be slightly careful when discussing distance, since a distance is the magnitude of a displacement. If ##\Delta \vec{r} = t \vec{v}##, then the distance you go ##|\Delta \vec{r}| = t|\vec{v}|##. Or better still, for non-constant velocities, a distance is an integral of speed (which is itself the magnitude of velocity).

Likes Lnewqban and SSG-E
SSG-E said:
As I get $20 for 1 hour so,
for 10 hours I will get
20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20
= 20*10
= $200
How is that different from multiplication in physics? 20 km/h for 10 hours equals 200 km.

Or, if something costs $5 per metre, then 6 metres costs $30. Or, if the density is 5 kg per metre, then the mass of 6 metres is 30 kg.

This is what multiplication is. In terms of numbers or quantities, at least.

Likes SSG-E
PeroK said:
How is that different from multiplication in physics? 20 km/h for 10 hours equals 200 km.

Or, if something costs $5 per metre, then 6 metres costs $30. Or, if the density is 5 kg per metre, then the mass of 6 metres is 30 kg.

This is what multiplication is. In terms of numbers or quantities, at least.
Thanks I finally got the concept

Likes PeroK
etotheipi said:
It can also be helpful to look at dimensions for justification, ##\text{dollars}\,\text{hr}^{-1} \times \text{hr} = \text{dollars}##

Just in case you're interested, I thought I might add a little note about your example. Quantities like displacement and velocity are more completely described as vectors. In the absence of any acceleration, you can say ##\vec{d} = t\vec{v}##. Since ##\vec{d}## and ##\vec{v}## are really arrows, this just means that the ##\vec{d}## is ##t## times as long as the ##\vec{v}## arrow.

Now you might then choose to establish these vectors in a chosen coordinate system, in which case you can now consider equations pertaining to the components. You can now say things like ##\Delta x = v_x t##, where all of those numbers are ordinary scalars and the multiplication just ordinary multiplication.

You have to be slightly careful when discussing distance, since a distance is the magnitude of a displacement. If ##\Delta \vec{r} = t \vec{v}##, then the distance you go ##|\Delta \vec{r}| = t|\vec{v}|##. Or better still, for non-constant velocities, a distance is an integral of speed (which is itself the magnitude of velocity).
Thanks it is very helpful

Likes berkeman

Related to What is meant by multiplication in physics?

What is meant by multiplication in physics?

In physics, multiplication refers to the mathematical operation of combining two or more quantities together to determine their product. This product can represent a physical quantity, such as distance, velocity, or force, depending on the units of the quantities being multiplied.

How is multiplication used in physics?

Multiplication is used in physics to calculate the total effect of multiple factors on a physical system. For example, when calculating work, force is multiplied by distance. In equations, multiplication is often represented by the symbol "x" or by placing quantities next to each other without an operator.

What are the different types of multiplication used in physics?

In physics, there are two main types of multiplication: scalar multiplication and vector multiplication. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a scalar (a quantity with only magnitude) by a vector (a quantity with both magnitude and direction). Vector multiplication involves multiplying two vectors together to determine their cross product or dot product, depending on the desired result.

What is the importance of understanding multiplication in physics?

Understanding multiplication is crucial in physics as it allows us to accurately calculate and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to manipulate equations and solve problems involving multiple quantities and factors. Without understanding multiplication, it would be difficult to make meaningful and accurate conclusions in the field of physics.

Are there any common mistakes made when using multiplication in physics?

One common mistake when using multiplication in physics is forgetting to account for the units of the quantities being multiplied. It is important to ensure that the units are consistent and to convert them if necessary. Another mistake is using the wrong type of multiplication (scalar vs. vector) in a calculation. It is important to understand the difference between these two types and when each should be used.