What is meant by first momentum of energy spectrum (ES)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moments in relation to energy spectra. The first, second, and third moments of the energy spectrum are defined mathematically and have specific physical consequences. The first moment represents the average energy, the second moment represents the mean force constant, and the third moment represents the mean square vibrational displacement of the Mössbauer nucleus. These moments can be used to calculate physical quantities such as mass and half-life. The significance of the third moment in relation to the energy distribution spectrum is not fully understood. There are also references and further reading provided for more information.
Rajini
Hello all,

I wanted to know
what is meant by first momentum of energy spectrum (ES),
second momentum of ES, and also third momentum of ES.
It will be nice with some references, books, etc.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

For any function of single variable, f(x), you can find an n-th moment μn using this formula.

[tex]\mu_n = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^n f(x) dx[/tex]

K^2 said:
For any function of single variable, f(x), you can find an n-th moment μn

Never seen that before.
What's the significance of it in relation to a spectrum?

It's called moment, not momentum. Momentum is a different physical quantity and moment is a statistical function. The energy spectrum is treated like some probability distribution function.

Hi force and k2,
i got some idea from you reply.
Yes it should be moment and not momentum.

AJ Bentley said:
What's the significance of it in relation to a spectrum?
Provided that spectrum is normalized, that is μ0=1, μ1=<E>, μ2=<E²>, and consequently, ΔE=sqrt(μ21²). I have no idea what the significance of the 3rd moment is.

Yes, I'm aware of the name of the 3rd moment. I'm not sure what relevance it has specifically to the energy distribution spectrum. <E> and ΔE have very specific physical consequences. I'm not sure if the same can be said about <E³>.

So, what is the physical significance of the first and the second moment?

Hi force,
from nis (nuclear inelastic scattering), from 2nd moment of the spectrum you get the mean force constant of the Mössbauer nucleus and from 3rd you get mean square vibrational displacement of the Mössbauer nucleus.
my intention is to ask you all about the general details of these moment formula...
may be some of you for sure know about Lipkin'S sum rule.
tha nks

Dickfore said:
So, what is the physical significance of the first and the second moment?
Really?

For starters, <E> is a conserved quantity. ΔE is related to Δt. If this is an energy spectrum of a particle, for example, you just got its mass and half-life.

Rajini said:
general details
Isn't this an oxymoron :confused:

It's a taxonomy. General details are more specific than detailed generalities, but less specific than plain details.

Related to What is meant by first momentum of energy spectrum (ES)

1. What is the first momentum of energy spectrum?

The first momentum of energy spectrum (ES) is a mathematical concept used to describe the distribution of energy levels in a physical system. It represents the average energy of a system and is calculated by multiplying the energy of each level by its probability and summing them together.

2. How is the first momentum of energy spectrum related to energy?

The first momentum of energy spectrum is directly related to energy, as it represents the average energy of a system. It is a way to quantify the distribution of energy levels in a system and provides important information about its overall energy state.

3. Why is the first momentum of energy spectrum important?

The first momentum of energy spectrum is important because it provides a way to characterize the energy distribution of a system. This information can be used to understand the behavior of physical systems, such as atoms or molecules, and to make predictions about their energy states and dynamics.

4. How is the first momentum of energy spectrum calculated?

The first momentum of energy spectrum is calculated by multiplying the energy of each level in a system by its probability and then summing them together. This calculation can be done using mathematical formulas or by using specialized software designed for energy spectrum analysis.

5. Can the first momentum of energy spectrum change?

Yes, the first momentum of energy spectrum can change if there is a change in the energy distribution of a system. This can happen due to external factors, such as temperature or pressure, or internal processes, such as energy transfer or chemical reactions. The first momentum of energy spectrum can also change over time as a system evolves or undergoes different conditions.