Solving for Tension in an Elevator with Acceleration of 3.0 m/s^2 | Physics Help

• Thread starter Aiasha
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics test and a problem involving an elevator's weight and tension in its cable. The person is struggling with understanding physics and needs help with showing their work. They are given a tip to consider the tension being greater than gravity and to use the equation for net force to find the mass and acceleration. The importance of direction is also mentioned.
Aiasha
guys iam takin physics
its a takhom test
nd i don't get physics attt allll!
pllz hlp me with this
i need to show work as well

an elvtor weighing 25,000 N is supported by a steal cable. that is the tension in the cable wehn the elavotor is begin accelerated upward at the reate of 3.0 m/s^2? (g= 9.8m/s^2)
pleasezz help[

Physics news on Phys.org
TIP: The tension in the cable must be greater than the gravity pulling down. Think about that.

Also remember that if this is an isolated system where only tension and gravity are acting on the elevator, the net force is equal to the gravity + tension. Is there a way you can find the mass? Once you find the mass, might there be also be a way to calculate the netforce using mass and the acceleration? REmember, Netforce=Gravity+Tension

remember

[tex]\sum \overline{F} = m\overline{a}[/tex]

directions are imp.

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 397

1. What is the best way to ask for help with a question?

The best way to ask for help with a question is to provide as much information as possible about the question and any attempts you have made to find the answer. This will help the person assisting you to understand the question and provide a more accurate answer.

2. How do I know if someone is able to help me with my question?

You can usually tell if someone is able to help you with your question by their area of expertise or their knowledge on the subject. It's also helpful to read their profile or qualifications to see if they have any relevant experience or skills.

3. How long does it typically take to get a response when asking for help with a question?

The response time can vary depending on the complexity of the question and the availability of those who may be able to help. It's best to be patient and give the person time to respond, but if you don't receive a response within a reasonable amount of time, you can always ask for help from someone else.

4. Is it okay to ask for clarification on an answer to my question?

Absolutely! It's important to ask for clarification if you don't fully understand an answer. This will help you to better understand the solution and potentially prevent any misunderstandings.

5. Can I ask for help with a question that is not related to a specific subject or topic?

Yes, you can ask for help with a question on any subject or topic. However, it may be more difficult to find someone who is knowledgeable on a broad range of subjects. It's best to be specific in your request for help and provide as much information as possible about the question.