What is mean by charge in an electrostatic equilibrium ?

In summary: If you exert more force, you'll add more energy to the system and the mass will move a little further. If you exert less force, the mass will move a little less.
Aladin
what is mean by "charge in an electrostatic equilibrium" ??

In my textbook the definition of the potential difference is that
"The workdone on a unit positive charge carrying it from one point to the other kepping the charge in electrostatic equilibrium"
In my textbook electrostatic mean uniform velocity.I am confused!
why we keep the charge in electrostatic equilibrium? What is the fact that this term is used?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Electrostatic equilibrium simply means that no net force is acting on the charged particle, and it doesn't accelerate, ie it's a charge fixed in space. Suppose instead the assumption of electrostatic equilibrium is not given, when a unit positive charge is brought from anywhere in the direction of the reference charge, the reference charge will experience a force, either attractive or repulsive due to the unit positive charge. This means that it would no longer be in electrostatic equilibrium and will be repeled. The idea of potential difference assumes that we can take a test charge and calculate the work done while keeping the conditions the same.

Likes Zahid Iftikhar

Aladin said:
In my textbook the definition of the potential difference is that
"The workdone on a unit positive charge carrying it from one point to the other kepping the charge in electrostatic equilibrium"
In my textbook electrostatic mean uniform velocity.I am confused!
why we keep the charge in electrostatic equilibrium? What is the fact that this term is used?
What they are getting at is that they want to find the work done against the electrostatic force. So they only want you to exert just enough external force to balance out the electrostatic force. If you don't specify such a restriction, the work done could be arbitrarily large: you could always exert more force than needed, giving the charge extra energy in the process.

An example with gravity: How much work is done in lifting a mass a distance h? If you exert just enough force to balance out gravity, then the work done is mgh. That's the work done "against gravity", but you can always do more.

Likes Zahid Iftikhar

Related to What is mean by charge in an electrostatic equilibrium ?

1. What is charge in electrostatic equilibrium?

Charge in electrostatic equilibrium refers to the distribution of electric charge on an object or system that is at rest and not experiencing any external electric force. This means that the electrical forces acting on the charges are balanced, resulting in a stable state.

2. How is charge distributed in an electrostatic equilibrium?

In an electrostatic equilibrium, the charges are distributed in such a way that the electric field within the system is zero. This can be achieved through the repulsion and attraction of charges, resulting in a stable distribution.

3. What is the importance of electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in the functioning of living organisms. It also helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various systems.

4. How is electrostatic equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium refers to a state where the charges are at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state where the charges are in motion but the overall system is still stable. In electrostatic equilibrium, the electric field is zero, whereas in dynamic equilibrium, there may be a non-zero electric field present.

5. Can electrostatic equilibrium be achieved in a system with only one type of charge?

No, electrostatic equilibrium cannot be achieved in a system with only one type of charge. This is because charges of the same type repel each other, making it impossible to have a balanced distribution. A system in electrostatic equilibrium must have both positive and negative charges present.