What is Manipulating Trig Identities to Solve for a Numerical Value?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the Pythagorean identities and manipulating trigonometric functions to solve for a numerical value. The participants use substitution and algebra to successfully solve the problem.
nzashadow

Homework Statement

3(sin(x)^4+cos(x)^4)-2(sin(x)^6+cos(x)^6)=1

(these are sinx raised to the 4 and 6 powers, not x^4or6)

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using pythagorean identities to change everything to terms of sine or cosine. I've been hoping to manipulate it enough to get enough cos(x)^2+sin(x)^2 to try and turn all trig functions into a numerical value. Maybe this is right and I'm missing something on the way or not going far enough. I have figured out that the 3 and the 2 are necessary to equal 1, and other values such as 2 and 1 respectively will not equate to 1, therefore (sin(x)^4+cos(x)^4)-(sin(x)^6+cos(x)^6) =/= 1-1 (although I am not sure if this is relevant.)

If anyone can give me a hint at how to correctly approach the problem that would be nice, I don't want anyone to actually work the problem out for me. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Try setting [itex]y=(\sin x)^2[/itex], and writing everything in terms of [itex]y[/itex].

I rewrote it as 3((sin2)2+cos4)-2(sin2*sin4+cos6)

And then using sin2=1-cos2, and some FOILing, the messy algebra worked out nicely.

Thanks guys, got it.

Related to What is Manipulating Trig Identities to Solve for a Numerical Value?

1. What is the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity, also known as the Pythagorean theorem, states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In mathematical terms, it can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

2. How is the Pythagorean identity used in trigonometry?

The Pythagorean identity is used in trigonometry to find the missing side lengths or angles in a right triangle. By using the Pythagorean theorem, we can solve for the length of the hypotenuse or one of the other two sides, which is necessary for calculating the trigonometric ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The three basic trigonometric identities are sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are used to calculate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle. Sine is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is equal to the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

4. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic properties and trigonometric identities until it is equal to the other side. This process is called simplification. You can also use the sum and difference formulas, double-angle formulas, and other trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and prove the identity.

5. What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and an equation?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It does not need to be solved for a specific value or set of values. In contrast, an equation is only true for specific values of the variables and needs to be solved to find those values. Trigonometric identities are used to simplify and manipulate equations in trigonometry, whereas equations are used to find specific solutions to problems.