What is logarithm how that table is made?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of limits, logarithms, and the value of pi. The speaker also requests help in understanding these concepts.
arjunkr
I am not a physics or math student ,but i am interested in physics i want to understand the nature So i started studying physics my main source is internet .So i need help from people like U .

1.what is limits how and where it is used ?

2.what is logarithm how that table is made?

3.what is pie(22/7) what it is why its value equal to 3.1428?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arjunkr said:
I am not a physics or math student ,but i am interested in physics i want to understand the nature So i started studying physics my main source is internet .So i need help from people like U .

1.what is limits how and where it is used ?

2.what is logarithm how that table is made?

3.what is pie(22/7) what it is why its value equal to 3.1428?

1 "Limits" are a way of dealing with "instantaneous" changes. For example, using the "algebra" formula "speed= "change in distance/change in time", we MUST have some time change so that we are not dividing by 0. Acceleration, defined as "change in speed/change in time" has that same problem, twice. But by Newton's law of gravity, the acceleration due to gravity depends on distance, which can be measured at a given instant. In order for that to make sense, we must be able to define "speed at a given instant" as well as "acceleration at a given instance". Limits allow us to do that.

2. A logarithm is the "reverse" of the "power" function. For example, 1000= 103 so log10(1000)= 3. I know, because I can multiply, that 34= 81. Because I have seen that, I could solve the equation "3x= 81": x= 4, of course. But what if the problem were "3x= 43"? I know that 33= 27 and that 34= 81. Since 43 is between 27 and 81, I know x is between 3 and 4, but where between? If we define "log3(x)" to be the reverse of 3x, then the answer is "log3(43)". Fortunately, we don't need to have a lot of different tables with different bases because logarithm in any base can be converted to any other base- such as base 10, "common logarthms". Also fortunately, people have devoted a lot of time to solving such problems and making up tables of logarithm solutions- and now we have calculators that give the values very easily.

3. "[itex]\pi[/itex], a Greek letter commonly written "pi" (NOT "pie" which is a desert!) is defined as the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter (ratio of the distance around a circle to the distance across the same circle. It is NOT 22/7 nor is it equal to 3.14128. 22/7 is not a bad approximation for such a simple division and 3.14128 is that rounded to 5 decimal places. Better, if you are going to use decimals, is 3.14159 to five decimal places or 3.1415926 to 7 decimal places. My calculator can give 12 decimal place accuracy: 3.13159265359. Some people have memorized it to several hundred decimal places and computers have been used to evaluate it to several million places. None of those are "the" value of [/itex]\pi[/itex]. (Nor are they of any particular use. Calculating [itex]\pi[/itex] to millions of decimal places is mainly to test [or show off] the speed of a computer.) [itex]\pi[/itex] is an "irrational" number and it happens that in our "base 10" numeration system, no irrational number can be written in a finite number of decimal places nor in a simple pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank for reply friend,

thank for reply friend,

I not have basic knowledge in math and physics please help me..
1.How to convert real problem into equation and how to solve please explain with a example
(derivative problem)?

2.How to use limit in real application ?

3.why stone will never float in water where as ship is float?

HallsofIvy said:
3. "[itex]\pi[/itex], a Greek letter commonly written "pi" (NOT "pie" which is a desert!)

Halls, what country is the desert pie in?

Related to What is logarithm how that table is made?

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a given number (called the base) must be raised to produce a given number. In other words, it is the inverse function of exponentiation.

How is a logarithm table made?

A logarithm table is made by first selecting a base for the logarithms. Then, the numbers from 1 to 10 are raised to powers of that base and the results are recorded in the table. The logarithm of each number is then calculated and recorded in the table. This process is repeated for each base, resulting in a table of logarithms for various numbers and bases.

Why is a logarithm table useful?

A logarithm table is useful because it allows for quick calculation of logarithms without the use of a calculator. This was especially important in the past when calculators were not easily accessible. It is also useful in certain fields of science, such as chemistry and physics, where logarithms are frequently used in calculations.

What is the purpose of using different bases in logarithms?

The choice of base in logarithms is dependent on the context and purpose of the calculation. Some bases, such as base 10, are useful for calculations involving large numbers, while others, like base 2, are useful in computer science and information theory. It is important to note that the value of a logarithm remains the same regardless of the base chosen.

Can logarithms be negative?

Yes, logarithms can be negative. This occurs when the base is greater than 1 and the number being raised to that power is less than 1. In this case, the logarithm will be a negative number. However, in logarithms with base 1 or less, the result will always be positive or zero.