What is LN and how is it used in mathematics?

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln
In summary, ln is the natural logarithm in math with a base of e (2.718...). It is used as shorthand notation for logarithms with base e, and can be solved by finding the exponent that, when applied to e, gives the desired number. It is also known as the "Naperian" logarithm, named after Scottish mathematician John Napier.
Blahness
What is LN? (Example problem requested)

What is LN in math, and how do you solve the LN of something?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "ln", nowadays also just denoted as "log" is the natural (or neperian) logarithm, meaning the one with base e (2.718...)

ln is called the natural logarithm in math. It is a logarithm with a base of [itex]e[/itex]

[tex]\ln{x}=\log_{e}x[/tex]

We use ln as shorthand notation but the above notation is equally correct.

To take to natural log of some number, let's call it A, is to find another number, let's call it B, so the [tex]e^B=A[/tex]

Hope that gets you started.

Erhm... My friend doesn't know what a logarithm is.

Refresh his memory, please? x.x

EDIT: Durr, posted while I typed. Thanks! Y.Y

Lemme make sure I have this clarified.

Let's make A = 27 and B = 3.
(can't use latex here)

Loga = B
Log(27) = 3
E^3=27
E = 3

Is this right, or am I confused?

Give me an example problem, step by step, please. >_<

Last edited:
Blahness said:

(can't use latex here)

Loga = B
Log(27) = 3
E^3=27
E = 3

Logarithm is the inverse of power. Logorithm goe as such:

10^logx_base 10=x

Exempe:

10^x_base10=100
10^x_base10=10^2

x_base10=2.

ln is base with base e. If you are wondering what is e, if you integrate the area of the function y=1/x between x=1 and x=a, the only solution for a that gives an area of 1 unit is e.

We write log_baseex simply as lnx.

An exemple is;

5^x=4

You can solve this with logs;

(10^log5)^x=10^log4

10^(xlog5)=10^log4

xlog5=log4
x=log4/log5

The basic relationships

a=log(xy)
a=log((10^logx)(10^logy)
a=log(10^logx + logy)

Since we know that

10^log(xy)=10^logx + logy,

then

log(xy)=logx + logy

Last edited:
Blahness said:

(can't use latex here)

Loga = B
Log(27) = 3
E^3=27
E = 3

Sorry, this is incorrect. [itex]e[/itex] is a constant. It is defined as [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)^{x}[/tex] and is around 2.71.

You won't be able to calculate numbers such as [itex]\ln 5[/itex] or [itex]\ln 1000[/itex] by hand. I'll use your numbers as an example.

[tex]\ln x = \log_{e}x[/tex]

So let's say that [tex]\log_{e}A=B[/tex]

that means that [tex]e^B=A[/tex]

You said A was 27 in your previous post. If you typed in [itex]\ln 27[/tex] in your calculator, it would tell you the exponent that if you took [itex]e[/itex] to that exponenet, it would equal 27.

ln(a) is the area under the graph y=1/x limited by the lines x=1 and x=a.

TD,

Isn't that spelled "Naperian" logarithm?

Loren Booda said:
TD,

Isn't that spelled "Naperian" logarithm?
That's quite possible, I tried translating it from my language :smile:
Both get google hits but yours a bit more, so it's probably "Naperian" :-p

"Naperian" (notice that both Loren Booda and I are capitalizing it) is named for John Napier (apparently the "i" got lost somewhere), a Scottish mathematician- you don't "translate" people's names! Napier also, by the way, invented the decimal point.

In Dutch, it's called the 'Neperiaanse' or 'Neperse' logarithm, and I tried to "translate" that into English. I'm aware of the fact that it comes from a person, but that doesn't change the fact that the term is different in multiple languages.
Of course, his name is the same everywhere, but the term for the logarithm (which was derived from his name) can be different in other languages.

Last edited:

Related to What is LN and how is it used in mathematics?

1. What is LN?

LN stands for "natural logarithm." It is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve equations and model real-world phenomena.

2. How is LN different from log base 10?

LN uses the base e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. Log base 10 uses the base 10. This means that LN gives the logarithm of a number with respect to e, while log base 10 gives the logarithm of a number with respect to 10.

3. What is the relationship between LN and the natural exponential function?

The natural exponential function, denoted as e^x, is the inverse of the natural logarithm. In other words, LN and the natural exponential function "undo" each other. This is why they are often used together in mathematical equations.

4. How is LN used in real life?

LN is used in a variety of fields, including finance, physics, engineering, and biology. It can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and the spread of diseases. In finance, it is used to calculate compound interest and in statistics, it is used to measure the spread of data.

5. What is the domain and range of the LN function?

The domain of LN is all positive real numbers, while the range is all real numbers. This means that any positive number can be input into the LN function, and the output will be a real number. However, the natural logarithm of 0 is undefined.