What is lightning proportional to?

In summary, the severity of injuries from receiving an electric shock depends on various factors such as voltage, current, resistance, body contact, surface area of contact, and the type of electrical appliance. How a person holds the appliance can also affect the potential damage, as well as other circumstantial factors such as clothing, shoes, and skin conductivity. It is important to avoid working on live equipment, and if necessary, to keep one hand in your pocket to potentially reduce the impact of the shock.
Likith D
Say that i were to hold an electric appliance
obvious, i receive an electric shock
What will 'how bad my injuries will be' depend on ?
Is it potential difference, current, heating effect, ...

Science news on Phys.org
Yes. Voltage, current, resistance, but many other circumstantial factors such as what part of the body, area of contact, conducivity of connection, etc.

Could you rephrase the question and add a little more detail? Different people have different electrical resistance, so that question as phrased would be difficult to answer. Someone with really dry skin for example could possibly offer more resistance to the current so damage may be more localized. Clothing, shoes and as Dave pointed out body contact, surface area of contact, even which foot is making contact with the ground would make a difference.

Likith D said:
Say that i were to hold an electric appliance
obvious, i receive an electric shock
What will 'how bad my injuries will be' depend on ?
Is it potential difference, current, heating effect, ...

and what does that have to do with lightning as posted in the title ??Dave

davenn said:
and what does that have to do with lightning as posted in the title ??Dave
OOHHHH sorry 'bout that one...

How you hold it can make a difference. For example you are more likely to survive if the current flows from one hand, down through your body and shoes than if it flows from one hand to the other via your heart. Not least because you shoes help reduce the magnitude of the current.

You should avoid working on "live" equipment when possible but if that's not possible then keeping one hand in your pocket might just save you (or it might not).

Related to What is lightning proportional to?

1. What is lightning proportional to?

Lightning is proportional to the build-up and release of electrical energy in the atmosphere. This energy is typically generated by the separation of positive and negative charges within a thunderstorm cloud.

2. Is lightning proportional to the height of a storm cloud?

Yes, the height of a storm cloud can affect the intensity and frequency of lightning strikes. The taller the cloud, the more time it has to build up electrical energy and the more likely it is to produce lightning.

3. How is lightning related to thunder?

Thunder is the sound produced by the rapid expansion of air surrounding a lightning bolt. Therefore, lightning and thunder are directly related, with lightning causing the sound waves that we hear as thunder.

4. Does the location or geography affect the frequency of lightning?

Yes, the location and geography of an area can greatly impact the frequency of lightning. For example, areas with warm, moist air and frequent thunderstorms, such as the tropics, tend to experience more lightning strikes than drier, cooler regions.

5. Can lightning be predicted?

While scientists have made advancements in lightning detection and prediction technology, accurately predicting when and where lightning will strike is still a challenge. However, meteorologists can identify areas with a high likelihood of lightning and issue warnings to keep people safe.