Which Metal Sample Shows Greater Uncertainty in Specific Heat Calculation?

In summary, the experiment to determine the specific heat of a metal sample involves two sets of data with the same initial temperature and mass, but different equilibrium temperatures. The uncertainty in the specific heat calculation is greater for the metal sample with a larger change in temperature, as this corresponds to a smaller relative error.
tucky
specific heat?

Hey guys….I need help with another problem.

Q: Below are two sets of data from an experiment to determine the specific heat of a metal sample. For which mass will t the uncertainty n the specific heat be greater? Explain your answer. The uncertainty in all temperature measurements is +/- 1 degree C. And for all masses are +/- .1g. The specific heat of water is 1.0 cal/g degree C with negligible uncertainty.

Metal Sample A:
Initial temperature A----25 C
Mass of metal A-------- 100g
Initial Temp of water----100 C
Mass of water-----200g
Thermal Equilibrium temp of metal B in water---75 C

Metal Sample B:
Initial temp B----25C
Mass of metal----100g
Initial temp of water----100C
Mass of water----200g
Thermal Equilibrium temp of metal B in water---90C

A: Q=m*C*(change temp)

Metal A Q=(.1 +/-.0001kg)C(348+/-1K-298+/-1k)
Metal A Q=5+/-.19716KgKC

Metal B Q=(.1 +/-.0001kg)C(363+/-1K-298+/-1k)
Metal B Q=6.5+/-.29705KgKC

Now, I am stuck…I don’t know how to finish this problem. Can anyone help me? Actually, I don’t even know if I am on the right track.

Tucky

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is an exercise in error propagation.
If you have a function
[tex]
f = f(x, y, z),
[/tex]
then the uncertainty is
[tex]
df = \sqrt{ (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx)^2 + (\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy)^2 + (\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}dz)^2}.
[/tex]

Is there a way to do work this problem without calculus? Because my class is an algebra/trig based class. Thank you for your help.

Well, in the 2 experiments all data are the same, except for the final temperature. So you could argue that the larger change in temperature corresponds to the smaller relative error.

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

Why is specific heat important?

Specific heat is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is needed to heat or cool them.

What factors affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature change, and chemical composition.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured by using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the heat exchange between a substance and its surroundings.

Why is specific heat different for different substances?

The specific heat of a substance is different because each substance has a unique molecular structure and composition, which affects how it absorbs and releases heat energy.