What is Kinetic Energy? Definition, Equations & Explanation

In summary, kinetic energy is a type of energy that is associated with an object's movement and can be calculated using different equations depending on the type of motion. It does not include other forms of energy such as thermal, potential, or chemical energy. Additionally, due to the law of conservation of energy, any change in kinetic energy must be accompanied by an equal change in other forms of energy.
Definition/Summary

Kinetic energy (KE) is energy associated with movement as a whole (linear or rotational or both).

Kinetic energy of a body therefore does not include thermal energy (associated with internal movement, of its molecules), nor any other form of potential energy (such as chemical or nuclear energy, or energy associated with its own deformation or with its position in a gravitational or other field).

Since total energy is always conserved, a gain (or loss) in kinetic energy is always accompanied by an equal loss (or gain) in other forms of energy.

Equations

Linear motion:

[tex]KE\ =\ \frac{1}{2}\,mv^2\ =\ \frac{p^2}{2m}[/tex]

Rotational motion:

[tex]KE\ =\ \frac{1}{2}\,I_{c.o.r.}\omega^2\ =\ \frac{1}{2}\,I_{c.o.m.}\omega^2\ +\ \frac{1}{2}\,m\mathbf{v}_{c.o.m.}^2[/tex]

(c.o.r. = centre of rotation, c.o.m. = centre of mass)

Conservation of energy:

[tex]KE\ +\ PE\ =\ constant[/tex]

Linear motion (relativistic):

[tex]KE\ =\ mc^2\,\sqrt{1\ +\ \frac{p^2}{m^2c^2}}\ -mc^2=\ \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1\ -\ v^2/c^2}}-mc^2\ \approx\ \frac{1}{2}\,mv^2\;,[/tex]

where the final approximate equality holds for [itex]v<<c[/itex]

Extended explanation

When a (non-relativistic) particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moves with velocity [itex]\vec v[/itex] (of magnitude [itex]v[/itex]) the particle's kinetic energy [itex]KE[/itex] is given by
[tex]
KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2\;.\qquad (1)
[/tex]

Because the relationship between the momentum [itex]p[/itex] and velocity is [itex]p=mv[/itex] equation (1) can also be written as
[tex]
KE=\frac{p^2}{2m}\;.
[/tex]

For a collection of particles (labelled by index [itex]i[/itex]) the total kinetic energy is given by
[tex]
KE=\sum_i KE_{i}
=
\sum_{i}\frac{1}{2}m_{(i)}v_{(i)}^2\;,
[/tex]
where [itex]m_{(i)}[/itex] is the mass of the ith particle and v_{(i)} is the magnitude of the ith particle's velocity.

For the case of a continuous distribution of particles
[tex]
KE=\frac{1}{2}\int d^3 r \rho(\mathbf{r}){|\mathbf{v}(\mathbf{r})|}^2\;.
[/tex]
For the case of a rigid body [itex]\mathbf{v}(\mathbf{r})= \mathbf{\omega}\times\mathbf{r}[/itex] for constant [itex]\mathbf{\omega}[/itex], and the above equation reduces to
[tex]
KE=\frac{1}{2}\omega^i\omega^j I_{ij}\;,
[/tex]
where
[tex]
I^{ij}=\int d^3 r \rho(\mathbf{r})\left(r^2\delta^{ij}-r^i r^j\right).
[/tex]
In many cases (e.g., cubic, spherical) the system is symmetric enough that [itex]I^{ij}=I\delta^{ij}[/itex], in which case the above equation for kinetic energy reduces to
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2
[/tex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the detailed explanation of kinetic energy! This is a great resource for anyone looking to learn more about this concept.

Related to What is Kinetic Energy? Definition, Equations & Explanation

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a type of mechanical energy that results from an object's velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is an object's mass, and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a rolling ball, and a swinging pendulum. Any object that is in motion has kinetic energy.

4. How does kinetic energy differ from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy of position.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or sound energy. This is known as the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.