What is its linear speed at the bottom of the incline?

In summary, the problem involves a spherical object with a moment of inertia of 0.584mr2 starting from rest and rolling down a 2.25-m high incline without slipping. Using the equation for conservation of energy, the final velocity of the object is calculated to be 5.279m/s. The parentheses in the final equation should be written as sqrt((9.81m/s^2)(2.25m)/0.792).
jimmyboykun

Homework Statement

A spherical object with a moment of inertia of 0.584mr2 starts from rest rolling down a 2.25-m high incline. If the sphere is rolling without slipping

Homework Equations

I the best equation to use for this problem is k(initial)+u(initial)=k(final)+u(final)

The Attempt at a Solution

I stretch the equation 1/2mv^2(initial)+1/2Iω^(initial)+mgh(initial)=1/2mv^2(final)+1/2Iω^2(final)+mgh(final).

since the object started from rest the initial kinetic energy and the final potential energy is zero, which leads me to this equation

mgh(initial)=1/2mv^2(final)+1/20.584mr^2ω^2(final). As I continue reduce the equations I round up with this.

gh(initial)=0.792v^2(final)

v=sqrt(9.81m/s^2)(2.25m)/0.792

the linear speed I came up with was 5.279m/s.

Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmyboykun said:
v=sqrt(9.81m/s^2)(2.25m)/0.792
The parentheses aren't written correctly there, but the method's fine and I agree with your final answer.

haruspex said:
The parentheses aren't written correctly there, but the method's fine and I agree with your final answer.

How would I write the parentheses the correct way?

jimmyboykun said:
How would I write the parentheses the correct way?

sqrt((9.81m/s^2)(2.25m)/0.792)

Yes, your approach and calculations seem correct. You have used the appropriate equations and correctly applied the conservation of energy principle to solve for the linear speed at the bottom of the incline. Make sure to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good job!

Related to What is its linear speed at the bottom of the incline?

1. What is linear speed?

Linear speed, also known as tangential speed, is the rate at which an object travels in a straight line.

2. How is linear speed different from angular speed?

Linear speed is the rate at which an object travels in a straight line, while angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point.

3. How is linear speed calculated?

Linear speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for linear speed is v = d/t, where v is the linear speed, d is the distance, and t is the time.

4. How does an incline affect linear speed?

An incline can affect linear speed by either increasing or decreasing it, depending on the direction of the incline. If the incline is sloping downwards, the linear speed will increase, and if the incline is sloping upwards, the linear speed will decrease.

5. What factors can affect linear speed at the bottom of an incline?

The factors that can affect linear speed at the bottom of an incline include the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.