What is Incompressible material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of incompressible material and the speaker's struggle to fully understand and explain it. They mention sending a summary about ultrasound elastography to their teacher but mistakenly including information about incompressible material. Despite researching online and having a basic understanding of the concept, the speaker still struggles to provide a scientific definition. They ask for clarification and Chet provides a definition involving the derivative of specific volume and principal stresses.
zoala001
I sent a summary about ultrasound elastography to my teacher and somehow I wrote incompressible material in my paper. now he wants me to really explain him what is Incompressible material.
I looked at internet about compressibility and Poisson ratio but doesn't still give a good understanding of incompressibility . can anyone give me a solid answer to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoala001 said:
I sent a summary about ultrasound elastography to my teacher and somehow I wrote incompressible material in my paper. now he wants me to really explain him what is Incompressible material.
I looked at internet about compressibility and Poisson ratio but doesn't still give a good understanding of incompressibility . can anyone give me a solid answer to this question.
I realize you don't fully understand incompressibility, but please tell us your current understanding of this concept.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I realize you don't fully understand incompressibility, but please tell us your current understanding of this concept.

Chet
this is what I have written so far and I have understood :

I have actually understood it. the materials that can not be compresses under a stress like a rubber. but I can not give a scientific definition about it

zoala001 said:
this is what I have written so far and I have understood :

I have actually understood it. the materials that can not be compresses under a stress like a rubber. but I can not give a scientific definition about it
The definition is: the derivative of the specific volume (volume per unit mass) with respect to the sum of the three principal stresses is equal to zero.

Chet

Related to What is Incompressible material?

1. What is the definition of an incompressible material?

An incompressible material is a substance that is unable to be compressed or compressed to a very small degree. This means that when a force is applied to the material, it will not experience a change in volume. In other words, the density of the material remains constant regardless of the applied force.

2. How do you identify an incompressible material?

An incompressible material can be identified by its physical properties. It will typically have a high bulk modulus, low compressibility, and a high Poisson's ratio. Additionally, when a force is applied to an incompressible material, it will not experience a significant change in shape or volume.

3. What are some examples of incompressible materials?

Some common examples of incompressible materials include liquids such as water, oils, and hydraulic fluids, as well as solids such as rubber, metals, and plastics. These materials are often used in applications where the ability to maintain a constant volume is crucial, such as in hydraulic systems or in the construction of buildings.

4. Can an incompressible material be compressed under extreme conditions?

While an incompressible material cannot be compressed under normal conditions, extreme forces or conditions can cause a small degree of compression. For example, at extremely high pressures, even water can experience a slight decrease in volume. However, for practical purposes, these materials can be considered incompressible.

5. What are the implications of using an incompressible material in engineering applications?

The use of incompressible materials in engineering applications can have several implications. These materials are often used in hydraulic systems, where the ability to maintain a constant volume is crucial for the proper functioning of the system. However, incompressible materials can also cause problems in other applications, such as in the design of buildings, where they can lead to structural instability if not properly accounted for.