What is heat-transfer coefficient alpha

In summary, the heat-transfer coefficient α in SI is measured in watts per meter squared, or W/m2 K.
joaquinjbs
Hi everyone!

I would like to confirm if heat-transfer coefficient α units in SI are W/m2 K. I have to use heat-transfer coefficient α in this formula:

Heat-transfer resistance: 1/k = δ/λ + 1/α

Where δ is material thickness and λ is thermal conductivity

Thank you!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
yes and no. Depends on the interpretation of W/m2 K as W/m2 K (no...) or as W/ (m2 K) (yes!)
see wiki

Likes joaquinjbs
BvU said:
yes and no. Depends on the interpretation of W/m2 K as W/m2 K (no...) or as W/ (m2 K) (yes!)
see wiki

Ok, thank you! And If I have two liquids and between them I have a copper plate. I must use 400 W/(m2 K) ;) as this website says: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/overall-heat-transfer-coefficients-d_284.html

It's true?

I'm obtaining incoherent results... :(

I only see water - copper - water 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) ?

joaquinjbs said:
I'm obtaining incoherent results... :(
A bit difficult to help here: my telepathic capabilities are very limited :smile: .
But you'll get a lot of assistance in the homework forum, provided you use the template properly ...:wink:(however, the ##\delta/\lambda## might indicate you need a different interpretation...

and so does the 400 ... but those are W / (m ##\cdot## K) :nb) )

BvU said:
I only see water - copper - water 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) ?

A bit difficult to help here: my telepathic capabilities are very limited :smile: .
But you'll get a lot of assistance in the homework forum, provided you use the template properly ...:wink:(however, the ##\delta/\lambda## might indicate you need a different interpretation...

and so does the 400 ... but those are W / (m ##\cdot## K) :nb) )

I've just checked my problem and I think all it's OK now. Thank you for your time and for responding quickly!

The OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT in the table is supposed to be the k in your first post.

Chestermiller said:
The OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT in the table is supposed to be the k in your first post.
I thought the OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT was α, and k was the HEAT-TRANSFER RESISTANCE... Thank you!

Thanks, Chet. I probably hinted too carefully in post #4 and forgot to follow up on #5 !
Should have insisted Joaquin showed his work :rolleyes: !

BvU said:
Thanks, Chet. I probably hinted too carefully in post #4 and forgot to follow up on #5 !
Should have insisted Joaquin showed his work :rolleyes: !

My english level is extremely basic, and the hint is a bit difficult to me. :frown:
A part of my work is about to define all component in the formula at #1. I looked for in my old heat transfer notes but I didn't find anything like that formula.

In general there are three resistances in series: ##1\over \alpha_1## on the utility side, ##\delta\over\lambda## from the pipe or plate material and another ##1\over \alpha_2## on the process side.
For the over-all heat transfer coefficient k ( in W / (m2 ##\cdot## K) ) you have $$ U = {1\over k} = {1\over \alpha_1} + {\delta\over\lambda} + {1\over \alpha_2} $$You don't show your work, so I don't know ##\delta##, but the middle term is often negligible. See the over-all k in water-copper-water of 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) or the 400 you are supposed to use. A 1 mm plate ##{\displaystyle\delta\over\lambda} = {2.5 \times 10^{-6}} ## would contribute very little to the over-all resistance of ##\approx {2.5 \times 10^{-3}}##.

BvU said:
In general there are three resistances in series: ##1\over \alpha_1## on the utility side, ##\delta\over\lambda## from the pipe or plate material and another ##1\over \alpha_2## on the process side.
For the over-all heat transfer coefficient k ( in W / (m2 ##\cdot## K) ) you have $$ U = {1\over k} = {1\over \alpha_1} + {\delta\over\lambda} + {1\over \alpha_2} $$You don't show your work, so I don't know ##\delta##, but the middle term is often negligible. See the over-all k in water-copper-water of 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) or the 400 you are supposed to use. A 1 mm plate ##{\displaystyle\delta\over\lambda} = {2.5 \times 10^{-6}} ## would contribute very little to the over-all resistance of ##\approx {2.5 \times 10^{-3}}##.
The symbol U is often used for the overall heat transfer coefficient, so that could cause confusion with regard to your equation.

Sleepiness. Thanks, Chet. ##1/U## it is. I'm used to ##\dot Q = UA\; {\rm LMTD}## and was too hasty. Coffee !

Ok, this post has clarified me all! All my books and notes are in spanish with a little bit different nomenclature so I was a little bit confuse with those terms. At the end, it's just calculate the equivalent resistance...

Thank you so much to all!

Related to What is heat-transfer coefficient alpha

1. What is heat-transfer coefficient alpha?

The heat-transfer coefficient alpha, also known as convective heat-transfer coefficient, is a measure of how easily heat can be transferred from one surface to another through convection. It is a property that describes the rate of heat transfer per unit area of a surface for a given temperature difference between the surface and its surrounding environment.

2. How is heat-transfer coefficient alpha calculated?

Heat-transfer coefficient alpha is calculated by dividing the heat flux by the temperature difference between the surface and the surrounding environment. It is also dependent on various factors such as the properties of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the geometry of the surface.

3. What are the units of heat-transfer coefficient alpha?

The SI unit for heat-transfer coefficient alpha is watts per square meter per Kelvin (W/m²K). However, other commonly used units include BTU per hour per square foot per Fahrenheit (BTU/hr·ft²·°F) and calories per second per square centimeter per Celsius (cal/s·cm²·°C).

4. How does heat-transfer coefficient alpha affect heat transfer?

The heat-transfer coefficient alpha plays a crucial role in determining the rate of heat transfer between a surface and its surrounding fluid. A higher heat-transfer coefficient alpha means that heat can be transferred more easily, resulting in a faster rate of heat transfer. This coefficient is also dependent on the type of material the heat is being transferred through, and a higher alpha value indicates better heat transfer properties.

5. What factors can affect the value of heat-transfer coefficient alpha?

The value of heat-transfer coefficient alpha can be affected by various factors, including the properties of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the geometry of the surface. Other factors such as the temperature difference between the surface and its surrounding environment, surface roughness, and the presence of impurities or obstructions can also impact the heat-transfer coefficient alpha.