Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

What is function

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
I want to teach it what is a function can you give me your definition and an example, thanks

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Given two sets $X$ and $Y$, a function is a rule assigning each element in $X$ one element in $Y$, which we denote $f: X \to Y$. Note that all elements of $X$ must be associated to elements of $Y$, but not necessarily all of $Y$.

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
I make an example which is the human it is an function between the time and the place it is impossible to a human to be in two places in the same time and in every time human located in a place
how about it ?

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Yes, it looks okay. It's a bit strange worded, but perhaps this is what you meant: you have a function which, given any time, returns a person's location at that given time. Since at one time an individual cannot be at two places, it is a function.

Cheers. (Nod)

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
A function, from set X to set Y, is a set of ordered pairs, first member an element of X, second member an element of Y, such that two pairs cannot have the same first member but different second members.

An example would be with X the set of students in your class, Y numbers. The set of ordered pairs would be a student and the student's weight. Two students might have the same weight but a single student would not have two different weights.

This is, of course, the same Fantini's definition with his rule telling how the pairs are formed, my pairs defining his rule.