What is Fire? Chemical Reactions & Light Energy

• Thread starter Ayesha_Sadiq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, fire is a chemical reaction that occurs when energy, in the form of heat and light, is released by atoms rearranging and bonds being made and broken. The color of a flame depends on the temperature of the gases as they leave the reaction and the composition of what is burning. Fire is essentially plasma made out of the combustion of a substance, and its behavior can be understood through observing the movement of hot gases as they expand and cool. Michael Faraday's "The Chemical History of a Candle" is a great resource for learning more about fire and its properties.
Ayesha_Sadiq
When we supply energy (activation energy) to a flammable gas, like methane, it burns. A chemical reaction occurs in which atoms rearrange, bonds made and broken. And energy is released. In the form of heat and light. But what is fire, actually? This may be a stupid question, but is this some sort of source of the photons of light? Like, the burning gas's electrons rearranging to give out EM waves in the area of the 'fire'? Light energy doesn't emanate from a filament lamp in the form of 'fire', does it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what you want. "Fire" consists of a number of things. There is, of course, the heat which is part of the "energy released" and any time there is energy released, yes, some of it bound to go into electrons jumping from one energy level to the other in the atoms which is then released as light. There will also be the heated gas that has been released from the fuel and "ash", the solids released.

Light energy from a filament lamp is not "fire". It is the release of energy, yes, mostly light, a little heat. But there is no oxygen taken out of the air so no CO2 released as there would be in "fire" so no heated gas and the filament is not "burnt" so there is no solid "ash"ii.

So fire is a physical form of what? Is it the light energy that we can 'see'? Concentrated area of photons? And what do we make of it when fire flickers in wind?

Ayesha_Sadiq said:
So fire is a physical form of what? Is it the light energy that we can 'see'? Concentrated area of photons? And what do we make of it when fire flickers in wind?

It sounds like you're specifically asking about flames - the area of light that can be made to flicker. This is basically visible light radiated by hot gases as they expand away from the chemical reaction, commonly referred to as burning. The color of the flame varies based on the temperature of the gases as they leave the reaction and cool down.

Fire

Hmm, so it is the mass of gas that is emitting light seen as flames? Thank you both for your replies. But then it sort of returns to its place after flickering. Maybe that's because when it flickers the mass of gas has done reacting and new mass takes its place, and we don't see the gases leaving in the process when it has been moved aside by flickering?

The color of the flame varies based on the temperature of the gases as they leave the reaction and cool down.

... and on the composition of what is burning. Different chemicals / minerals burn with different colour flames

Dave

So like in a bunsen flame, while we are burning barium, it uses the heat energy of the bunsen flame and reacts with oxygen, producing a flame of its own, coloured green? I guess that is the colour. So what is in that green flame? Barium oxide?

Ayesha_Sadiq said:
Hmm, so it is the mass of gas that is emitting light seen as flames?

Yes. The gases are emitting visible light as well as a lot of infrared that we feel as heat.

But then it sort of returns to its place after flickering.

Flickering often refers to a candle flame (glowing gas) that's being disturbed as by wind. If you're thinking instead of a campfire or some other larger combustion that creates a "dance" of ever-changing flames, it's the hot gases creating the wind-like disturbances by themselves due to temperature fluctuations as new hot gas from different locations expands from the reaction and cools.

Maybe that's because when it flickers the mass of gas has done reacting and new mass takes its place, and we don't see the gases leaving in the process when it has been moved aside by flickering?

We don't see the gases as "flames" once they stop emitting visible light as they cool. They cool as they get farther from the reaction, if that's what you mean by "moved aside". And, yes, more hot gas is being created that takes the place in the area(s) of the visible flame.

Ayesha_Sadiq said:
So like in a bunsen flame, while we are burning barium, it uses the heat energy of the bunsen flame and reacts with oxygen, producing a flame of its own, coloured green? I guess that is the colour. So what is in that green flame? Barium oxide?

Not sure, i guess it will be either the heated barium or the heated barium oxide that emits photons in the green wavelength because barium and barium oxide are silvery/white in normal temperatures.

Fire

Hmm. Thank you all. I think I get it. And yes, I should've Wikipediad it first. =D But it was also the behaviour of flames in which I was interested, and I think I get it now.

You will learn a great deal about flames from Michael Faraday's "The Chemical History of a Candle":
http://www.bartleby.com/30/7.html

You will also learn something about science and observation, as well as how to tell an interesting story!

I surely will give it a read! =D

Fire is actually plasma made out of combustion of substance.

Phy_enthusiast said:
Fire is actually plasma made out of combustion of substance.

Please read the above messages.

Vanadium 50 said:
Please read the above messages.

does my answer is wrong or i am giving misleading information.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure exactly what you want. "Fire" consists of a number of things. There is, of course, the heat which is part of the "energy released" and any time there is energy released, yes, some of it bound to go into electrons jumping from one energy level to the other in the atoms which is then released as light.

Is it atoms which emit light in fire, or do burning reactions form molecules, radicals or ions in excited states which possesses induced dipole transitions at light wavelength range?

Phy_enthusiast said:
does my answer is wrong or i am giving misleading information.

Its hot matter that emits photons but not hot enough to be in plasma state.

1. What is fire?

Fire is a chemical reaction that involves the rapid combination of oxygen with a fuel source, resulting in the release of heat and light energy.

2. How does fire start?

Fire requires three elements to start: fuel, oxygen, and heat. When these elements are present in the right proportions, a chemical reaction called combustion occurs, resulting in fire.

3. What are the different types of fuel that can start a fire?

There are three main types of fuel that can start a fire: solid, liquid, and gas. Solid fuels include wood, paper, and cloth. Liquid fuels include gasoline, oil, and alcohol. Gas fuels include propane and natural gas.

4. How does fire produce light energy?

Fire produces light energy through a process called incandescence. As the fuel burns, it releases energy in the form of heat and light. The heat causes the fuel to emit light, giving off the characteristic glow of fire.

5. Can fire exist without oxygen?

No, fire cannot exist without oxygen. Oxygen is a key component of the chemical reaction that produces fire. Without oxygen, the fire would not have the necessary element to sustain the combustion process and would quickly die out.