What is Energy? Seeking Clarity on a Confusing Topic

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its definition. It is a quantity that is conserved in processes and can be converted from mass according to Special Theory of Relativity. The speaker concludes that everything is made up of energy, but also acknowledges the difficulties in fully understanding this concept. They seek assistance and provide resources for further exploration.
sanjib ghosh
I have seen some definition like,
It is a quantity that is coming from the time translational invariance. or a quantity that should be conserved in some process.
But I am not able to understand what exactly energy is?
In STR mass even can convert into energy, that also make me so confused. So everything can be converted into energy.
I conclude that everything is actually nothing but energy.
But I find still there are lot of problem of thinking in that way.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3203

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Ah, that's a useful page. Bookmarked!

I can understand your confusion and frustration with the concept of energy. Energy can be a difficult concept to grasp because it is not something that we can physically see or touch. However, it is a fundamental quantity in science and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the universe.

In simple terms, energy can be defined as the ability to do work or cause change. It is a property of matter and can exist in various forms such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, etc. Energy is also a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described in Einstein's famous equation E=mc², may seem confusing at first. However, it simply means that mass and energy are two different forms of the same thing. When matter is converted into energy, the amount of energy produced is equivalent to the mass of the matter multiplied by the speed of light squared.

It is true that everything in the universe can be described in terms of energy. From the smallest particles to the largest galaxies, everything is made up of energy. However, it is important to note that energy is not "nothing." It is a quantifiable and measurable quantity that has a significant impact on the behavior of matter and the universe as a whole.

I suggest delving deeper into the concept of energy by studying its different forms and how it is conserved in various processes. This will help you gain a better understanding and clarity on the topic. Additionally, discussing your thoughts and questions with other scientists and experts in the field can also be helpful. Keep exploring and questioning, as that is the essence of scientific inquiry.

Related to What is Energy? Seeking Clarity on a Confusing Topic

1. What is energy?

Energy is a property of matter that allows it to do work or cause a change in an object or system. It exists in many forms, including kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, and electromagnetic energy.

2. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J), which is a unit of work or energy in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units of energy include calories and electron volts.

3. What are the different types of energy?

There are many different types of energy, including kinetic energy (the energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat energy), chemical energy (stored in chemical bonds), and electromagnetic energy (in the form of light, radio waves, etc.).

4. How is energy transferred?

Energy can be transferred from one object to another through various processes, such as conduction (transfer of heat through direct contact), convection (transfer of heat through fluids), and radiation (transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves).

5. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.