What is double integral by interpretation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of double and triple integrals and their applications in different fields, such as mathematics and physics. It is pointed out that double and triple integrals do not necessarily represent area and volume, and can have various interpretations depending on the integrand function. The conversation also touches on the idea of using integrals by analogy, and the potential for finding new applications through this approach.
vjacheslav
Very simple question for you, friends.
As is well known, usual integral has interpretation as square under function's graphic.
Then, what is double (and triple) integral by analogue?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vjacheslav said:
Then, what is double (and triple) integral by analogue?
Say

f(x) = k. ( a constant)

g(x) = f(x) dx = k*x. ( a ramp ).

h(x) = g(x) dx = ½*k*x2. ( a polynomial ).

So ∫∫ f(x) dx2 is the area under the ramp.

Within physics you could say ( a = acceleration , v = velocity , p = position ):

v(t) = a(t) dt

p(t) = v(t) dt

So p(t) = ∫∫ a(t) dt2

Often triple integrals are used to calculate volume, e.g. the volume of a ball = 4/3 * π * r3 ( 3 dimensions ).

Thanks, Hesch!
But seems like you interchange the double and triple integral by second and third polynomial power...

vjacheslav said:
But seems like you interchange the double and triple integral by second and third polynomial power...
No, the integrals of second and third order are separated examples ( stand alones ).
Just ask again if I have misunderstood your comment.

Some misunderstood arised, as I see. Double = dxdy triple = dxdydz ,
no second and third order, sorry.

You are absolutely right. I should have pointed that out.

And speaking of a volume of a ball, it could be calculated by a double integral, but I hope you understand the idea in calculating volumes generally.
( 3 dimensions: dxdydz ).

So Int(f(x)dx) = 2 dim
Accordingly to you
Int(f(x,y,z)dxdydz) = 3 dim
and the very question is
Int(f(x,y)dxdy) = ? dim

vjacheslav said:
So Int(f(x)dx) = 2 dim
Accordingly to you
Int(f(x,y,z)dxdydz) = 3 dim
and the very question is
Int(f(x,y)dxdy) = ? dim
It depends on the integrand. A triple integral with an integrand of 1 would give the volume (three dimensions) of the region over which integration is performed. A double integral could also give the volume of some region if the limits of integration represented an area and the integrand represented the height of the region.

Iterated integrals (either double or triple) don't necessarily have to represent area and volume, respectively. They could represent the mass of some three-dimensional solid, as well as many other possible applications of these integrals.

Likes Hesch
Grateful for you answer, but it still remains discussible. For ex, integrand 1 (f(x) as I see?) taken on dxdydz. How many dims it will give in answer? f(x)dx = 2 dim and f(x)dxdydz = 4 dim.
Am I mistaken?

vjacheslav said:
Grateful for you answer, but it still remains discussible. For ex, integrand 1 (f(x) as I see?) taken on dxdydz. How many dims it will give in answer? f(x)dx = 2 dim and f(x)dxdydz = 4 dim.
Am I mistaken?
Yes, in many cases. dx, dy, and dz typically represent length dimensions, but the integrand function does not have to have a length dimension associated with it. As I mentioned before, an integral could represent something other than length, area, or volume. For instance, it could represent the amount of work done, the mass of a three dimensional region, as well as many other possible interpretations.

Whatsoever single integral represent, Int(f(x)dx) = Square under function's graphic, isn't it? Could double or triple integral represent such an analogy?

vjacheslav said:
Whatsoever single integral represent, Int(f(x)dx) = Square under function's graphic, isn't it?
Again, not necessarily. An integral ##\int_a^b f(x) dx## is a number. It doesn't have to represent area. As I said before, it could represent the amount of work done in moving something from x = a to x = b, or it could represent the average value of a function (if in the form ##\frac 1 {b - a} \int_a^b f(x) dx##. It could represent volume if f(x) is the cross-sectional area. It could represent the total charge along a conductor if f(x) represents the charge density per unit length.

The bottom line is that an integral such as this does not necessarily represent area.
vjacheslav said:
Could double or triple integral represent such an analogy?

So nothing could be found by analogy? Pity, but I will try still in nearest future.
And now let's close the theme.
Thanks to everybody committed!

vjacheslav said:
Some misunderstood arised, as I see. Double = dxdy triple = dxdydz
A double intgral could be dxdx = dx2 and a triple integral could be dxdxdx = dx3.

So I don't see why #2 isn't an analogy?
Hesch said:
So p(t) = ∫∫ a(t) dt2
Thus the known formula: s = ½at2

Last edited:

Related to What is double integral by interpretation?

1. What is a double integral by interpretation?

A double integral by interpretation is a mathematical concept used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape or the area of a two-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

2. How is a double integral by interpretation different from a single integral?

A single integral only integrates over one variable, whereas a double integral integrates over two variables. This allows us to find the volume or area of more complex shapes.

3. What is the significance of the bounds in a double integral by interpretation?

The bounds in a double integral determine the limits of the region over which the integration is performed. They can be constants or functions of one or both variables.

4. Can a double integral by interpretation be used for other applications besides finding volume and area?

Yes, double integrals have many other applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the average value of a function, moment of inertia, or the center of mass of a region.

5. How is a double integral by interpretation evaluated?

A double integral can be evaluated using various methods, such as the rectangular, polar, or cylindrical coordinate systems. The chosen method depends on the shape of the region and the function being integrated.