What is centripetal acceleration?

In summary, the centripetal acceleration is the speed at which an object's velocity is changing direction towards the center of a circle.
raydred
I'm having trouble grasping the concept of centripetal acceleration on circular motion.
I understand angular velocity. From there what my books gives me is the centripetal accel formula. ac=(v^2)/R
I don't notice any acceleration in a circular motion. Nothing's accelerating.
What velocity is changing? In what direction? How would I calculate the position of an object by it's centripetal acceleration if:
  • The object has "f" angular velocity.
  • It is at "h" distance from the object it is orbiting.
  • The object it is orbiting around has m mass.

Extra
The first thing I thought was that the centripetal acceleration was the acceleration of the angular velocity. So in a circular motion it would have to be ac=0 or it would disrupt the circle.
But I can't make ac=0 without having either v=0 or R=0. If this was true then the centripetal accel wouldn't be compatible with circular motion.
Then I kept reading in the internet, including in this site, that some regarded it as imaginary. Then I guess thought that maybe it was used to simplify some calculations related to centripetal force for circular motion but it's still blurry in my mind.

Continuing my spoiler's line of though, then again what's the difference between gravitational force and centripetal force?

Edit:I hope this is the right section. I hope I haven't forgot to say something. I hope someone can answer. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What velocity is changing? In what direction?
According to Newton's first law, the object would continue in a straight line if there was no acceleration. The velocity change is that which keeps it in a circular path.

mathman said:
According to Newton's first law, the object would continue in a straight line if there was no acceleration. The velocity change is that which keeps it in a circular path.

Yes that is true. My thoughts are still blurry as I said so I have trouble asking questions about something which I don't even know what it is.
I understand there has to be an acceleration to keep it a circular orbit. But I'm still confused about the rest of my questions.
Then the gravitational accel would be the same as the centripetal accel?... I think I'm repeating myself but I thought I should reply.

raydred said:
Acceleration means a change in velocity. Since velocity is a vector, that could mean something speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. In uniform circular motion, the velocity is constantly changing direction towards the center.

Last edited:
raydred said:
Continuing my spoiler's line of though, then again what's the difference between gravitational force and centripetal force?
"Centripetal force" is just the name given to the net inward force that must exist in circular motion. To have circular motion, something must provide a centripetal force. In the case of a satellite orbiting a planet (say), the gravitational force provides the centripetal force.

Doc Al said:
changing direction
But it must be gradually... yes?
But this and packed with a friend's explanation made me understand the concept I think. Thank you two.

Related to What is centripetal acceleration?

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from other types of acceleration?

Unlike other types of acceleration, centripetal acceleration does not affect the speed of an object, but instead changes the direction of its velocity. This is because it is perpendicular to the object's velocity, making it a type of acceleration known as "radial acceleration".

3. What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a centripetal force acting on an object, which pulls or pushes the object towards the center of the circle. This force can come from various sources, such as gravity, tension, or friction.

4. How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly related to each other. The magnitude of the centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, F = ma.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

There are many examples of centripetal acceleration in our daily lives. Some common examples include a car taking a turn on a curved road, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a roller coaster going around a loop. In each of these cases, the object is experiencing centripetal acceleration due to a centripetal force acting on it.