What is application of nonlinear sigma model?

In summary, the linear sigma model has applications in pion and nuclear physics, while the non-linear sigma model is useful in quantum field theory. The non-linearity in the latter model is interpreted as pion-pion interaction and can be studied through chiral perturbation theory. Additionally, the non-linear sigma model allows for topologically non-trivial soliton solutions, which can be stabilized in the Skyrme model. This allows for the identification of the soliton with the nucleon and the study of pion-nucleon scattering and other processes. The model has also been used to calculate the nucleon mass, electromagnetic form factors, and inclusive deep inelastic scattering, showing good agreement with experimental data.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
I hear that linear sigma model has application in pion,nuclear physics.But do not understand what is the application of nonlinear sigma model in QFT?
Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When compactifying the linear to the non-linear sigma model, i.e. when reducing the number of independent fields, it becomes possible to identify the three remaining fields with the pions. The nonlinearity is interpreted as pion-pion interaction, which is studied in chiral perturbation theory. One can add a gauge-invariant photon interaction and calculate e.g. pion-pion scattering or photon-pion scattering.

The non-linear sigma model allows for topologically non-trivial soliton solutions by wrapping the SU(2) around S³ (compactified R³). Unfortunately these solitons are unstable; they would shrink to zero size by emitting pions. I studied an extension of the non-linear sigma model, the so-called Skyrme model where an order-4 term is added to the Lagrangian.This stabilizes the solition (the so-called Skyrmion) and allows one to identify it with the nucleon. One can expand the Lagrangian into soliton + pion fluctuations around the nucleon. Based on this ansatz it's possible to study pion-nucleon scattering, photo-pion production etc. The Skyrmion itself allows one to calculate the nucleon mass (rather good fit).

In addition one can quantize the pion fluctuations around the nucleon and calculate in second-order perturbation theory the (negative) energy shift of the nucleon mass with a remarkable good result (the calculation is terribly complicated b/c renormalization is required which is simple when using plane waves, but in the soliton background one has to use distorted waves for the pions)

Another application of the model is the calculation of electromagnetic form factors of the nucleon, including s-t- crossing. Again the agreement with the data is rather good. One idea I had in mind was to study inclusive deep inelastic scattering for which a small Q-x domain seems tobe available. My expectation was to find some non-perturbative results for nucleon structure functions, but the calculations became too complicated, so my decision was surrender ...

Hope this helps ...

Related to What is application of nonlinear sigma model?

1. What is a nonlinear sigma model?

A nonlinear sigma model is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between multiple fields or particles in a system. It is a type of field theory that is used in theoretical physics to study complex systems, such as quantum field theory and statistical mechanics.

2. How is the nonlinear sigma model applied in physics?

The nonlinear sigma model is applied in many areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is often used to study the behavior of quantum systems, phase transitions, and the properties of materials at the nanoscale.

3. What are some real-world applications of the nonlinear sigma model?

The nonlinear sigma model has many practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of superconductors, studying the properties of magnetic materials, and understanding the dynamics of biological systems. It is also used in computer simulations to model complex systems and in data analysis for pattern recognition.

4. How does the nonlinear sigma model differ from linear models?

The main difference between a nonlinear sigma model and a linear model is that the nonlinear model allows for interactions between fields, while the linear model assumes that the fields do not interact with each other. This makes the nonlinear sigma model more applicable to complex systems with multiple interacting components.

5. What are the limitations of the nonlinear sigma model?

While the nonlinear sigma model is a powerful tool for studying complex systems, it has its limitations. It may not accurately describe systems with strong interactions or systems that are far from equilibrium. In addition, the calculations involved in the model can be complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.