What is an "Isolated Ground" Outlet?

• Thread starter Sakha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary: Hospitals will typically have a dedicated ground circuit specifically for sensitive equipment, which will be isolated from the house's ground circuit. In some cases, they will also use an isolation transformer.In summary, these outlets are designed for critical equipment and are tied into the hospital's generator backup in case of power failure. They are safer because they have less leakage current and are hospital grade.
Sakha
I've seen many 'isolated ground' outlet, in schools and hospital. Tried to google it but didn't find much information about those. They're and orange case, and usually are just beside the normal mains. What is special about those? Are they safer?
Thanks, Sakha.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, they are meant for critical equipment and are tied into the hospital's generator backup in case of power failure. You don't use them for the TV but you do for the IV pump etc.

Are they safer?
Isolated or non-isolated receptacles that have patient equipment attached are designed for less leakage current (mircoamp range) and are said to be hospital grade. You can recognize them from their green dot.
2930_062020053274_ExhibitPic.gif

I've been told that they also have independent ground wires leading back to a single point in order to avoid ground loops between various pieces of sensitive equipment. I don't know if that was just something someone made up when I asked or not though...

It can mean different things. However, in many hospitals (and in e.g. some research labs, including a lab where I used to work) they have a separate Earth (safety ground) for sensitive equipment. Then the ground wires are NOT connected to the "usual" mains Earth but are connected to a separate ground point somewhere in basement the building (this "point" can e.g be a copper mesh buried in the ground, or as simply a large chunk of metal).

It can also mean that the outlet is connected to the mains via an isolation transformer which separates the ground from the ground of the mains, i.e. the outlet is floating. This is not very common but it is used in some hospitals for sensitive equipment (e.g a spark gap is used to make sure that the potential of the two grounds do not differ too much).

Last edited:
Post 4 is likely correct. US GFCI's for general people protection trip about 5 ma. Sounds like this hospital grade are MUCH more sensitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFCI

Interestingly, grounding in wet marine environments also requires separate ground wires for ac (household type generator) and dc ( battery) which are in general connected only at a single point. Here the main prupose is to avoid loops which can pick up galvanic protection currents (from bonding circuits protecting against galvanic corrosion) and also carry potentially dangerous ground fault (equipment failure) conditions.

In the hospital environment, I suspect they want to keep traditional ground circuits designed for equipment/people shock reasons separate from more sensitive grounds for certain equipment.

Last edited:
Naty1 said:
Post 4 is likely correct.

I concur, but with the added factor of lab-tested reliability. They're significantly more reliable than housing-grade GFIs, one of the many reasons why a day's stay at home costs you $35, while a day's stay in the hospital will cost you $1,500.

As an absolutely minimum.

Related to What is an "Isolated Ground" Outlet?

1. What is an "Isolated Ground" Outlet?

An isolated ground outlet is a type of electrical outlet that is designed to provide a separate ground connection from the rest of the outlets in a building. This means that the outlet has its own dedicated ground wire that is not connected to the electrical system's neutral wire.

2. Why is an isolated ground outlet used?

An isolated ground outlet is used to reduce electrical noise and interference in sensitive electronic equipment. By having a separate ground wire, the outlet can provide a cleaner and more stable electrical connection.

3. How does an isolated ground outlet differ from a regular outlet?

An isolated ground outlet has an additional ground wire that is connected directly to the grounding rod or water pipe, whereas a regular outlet has its ground wire connected to the neutral wire. Additionally, isolated ground outlets have a distinctive orange color to differentiate them from regular outlets.

4. When should an isolated ground outlet be used?

An isolated ground outlet is typically used in areas where sensitive electronic equipment is present, such as in hospitals, laboratories, and data centers. It may also be used in commercial and residential settings to protect high-end audio and video equipment.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an isolated ground outlet?

One potential drawback to using an isolated ground outlet is that it may not work effectively if the building's electrical system is not properly grounded. Additionally, they can be more expensive and require special installation procedures, so they are not typically used in every outlet in a building.