What is an Infinite Potential Well?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help understanding the concept of an Infinite Potential Well and the equations used to solve it in the context of quantum mechanics. They are directed to resources such as an introductory book on quantum mechanics or searching Wikipedia for more information.
Tai Mai Shu
Hi I am just found this forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me find out what exactly is a Infinite Potential Well. I am just trying to understand what exactly a Infinite Potential Well is as well as what all the equations are really solving for. Sorry if this has been posted before I am just trying to understand what exactly this is really solving for. If there is some sort of new person guide or something please link it to me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
why yes that's it!

Well ok I will be honest and Say I have no clue what so ever what I am even looking at. Basically, I need help on this subject because for a class I must present what I learned about "Particle in a Box". All I have gotten right now is the fact that what one is using is Quantum mechanics and Schrödinger equation to solve the whole problem, which I still don't know what it is yet. I am not sure exactly where to start. Do you think you could point me where exactly in the right direction?

You can always borrow a book on the library called "introduction to quantum mechanics" , there should be plenty =)

So hmmm ok

lol
i recommend "Into To Quantum Mechanics" by DJ Griffiths or just searching Wikipedia!
its fantastic!
cheers
nate

Related to What is an Infinite Potential Well?

What is an Infinite Potential Well?

An Infinite Potential Well is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a finite region of space with an infinitely high potential barrier at the boundaries. This means that the particle is unable to escape the well and is restricted to a specific energy level.

How does an Infinite Potential Well work?

In an Infinite Potential Well, the particle is described by a wave function that satisfies the Schrödinger equation. The wave function represents the probability of finding the particle at a specific location in the well. The particle behaves like a standing wave, with discrete energy levels determined by the well's size and shape.

What are the applications of an Infinite Potential Well?

Infinite Potential Wells have various applications in physics, including modeling the behavior of electrons in atoms and the confinement of particles in semiconductor devices. They also play a crucial role in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics and wave-particle duality.

What is the significance of the energy levels in an Infinite Potential Well?

The energy levels in an Infinite Potential Well are quantized, meaning they can only have specific discrete values. This reflects the wave-like nature of particles and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. The energy levels also determine the probability of finding the particle at a particular energy state.

How does the width of the Infinite Potential Well affect the energy levels?

The width of the Infinite Potential Well affects the energy levels in two ways. First, a wider well means a larger space for the particle to move, resulting in a lower energy level. Second, the width determines the number of energy levels in the well, with wider wells having more energy levels. This relationship is described by the quantization formula in the Schrödinger equation.