What is an indexed family of sets. I need a simple example

In summary, an indexed family of sets is a collection of sets that is labeled or indexed by a set, where each element in the indexing set corresponds to a specific set in the family. This allows for a clear and organized way of referring to and working with different sets within the family.
Ahmed Abdullah
I have looked it in the Wikipedia, but no simple example. So I am not sure. Is the indexed family of sets just power sets, indexed (indexing means labeling as I understand)?

For example the indexed family of sets of set A ={1,2,3,4,5,6} is just the collection of element from power set. A sub 1 may be {1} and A sub 7 may be {1,2} and so on. Indexed family of sets may be the collection of those sets as I understand. Can anyone clarify this please.(I am not a math major.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example that may help. For r > 0 define[tex]
A_r = \{(x,y):x^2 + y^2 < r^2\}[/tex]This gives an uncountable family of nested discs indexed by their radius.

Let the group of sets be called G. In G, there are five sets, G1, G2, G3, G4, and G5. Let those sets be the following:
G1: {2, 4, 6, 8,}
G2: {3, 6, 9, 12}
G3: {4, 8, 12, 16}
G4: {5, 10, 15, 20}
G5: {6, 12, 18, 24}

So, G: {G1, G2, G3, G4, G5}

This is a family of sets. I think the index refers to the sub number. In paper/pencil land for G1, the 1 would be a subscript.

On this board, you an do it with the html code C[ sub]1[ /sub ] without the spaces: C1. Or do it using the tex code: [ tex ]C_1[ /tex ] without the spaces gives [itex]C_1[/itex].

{Alice, Bob, Carla} share a house, but they're not always all in. The set of possible occupant sets of the house can be indexed [0..7] with A+2B+4C.

ArcanaNoir said:
Let the group of sets be called G. In G, there are five sets, G1, G2, G3, G4, and G5. Let those sets be the following:
G1: {2, 4, 6, 8,}
G2: {3, 6, 9, 12}
G3: {4, 8, 12, 16}
G4: {5, 10, 15, 20}
G5: {6, 12, 18, 24}

So, G: {G1, G2, G3, G4, G5}

This is a family of sets. I think the index refers to the sub number. In paper/pencil land for G1, the 1 would be a subscript.

Is it just the family of set with index notation? Wiki gave me "Let S be a set. An indexed family of sets {Ci}iεI is an indexed family that maps I to elements of the power set of S.

Hence, an indexed family of sets is conceptually different from a family of sets (which is just a synonym for "set of sets"), but in practice the distinction is sometimes fuzzy and the indexed family is identified with its range and treated like an ordinary family."

Ah, I messed up. I will now use my textbook to define it.

"Let [itex]\Delta[/itex] be a non-empty set such that for each [itex]\alpha[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex] there is a corresponding set A[itex]\alpha[/itex]. The family {A[itex]\alpha[/itex]: [itex]\alpha[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex]} is an indexed family of sets. The set [itex]\Delta[/itex] is called the indexing set and each [itex]\alpha[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex] is an index."

So my delta was {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. That is, my indexing set was {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. It could have easily been all natural numbers or some other known set, and then I could say my indexing set was N, that is, Natural Numbers. My family is all Gi, such that i is an element of {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, that is, my family is: {Gi: i [itex] \in [/itex][itex]\Delta[/itex]} (if I want my set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} to be named delta. it doesn't have to be named that.) . Thus, my family is {G1, G2, G3, G4 G5}. The numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are the indices. Each is an index.

Thanks ArcanaNoir for the response. I also like LCKurtz' example where Δ is all positive real number.

Related to What is an indexed family of sets. I need a simple example

1. What is an indexed family of sets?

An indexed family of sets is a collection of sets that are arranged in a specific order and are assigned a unique index value. The index value can be any set of numbers, letters, or symbols that help identify and distinguish each set in the family.

2. How is an indexed family of sets different from a regular family of sets?

The main difference between an indexed family of sets and a regular family of sets is the use of an index value. In a regular family of sets, the sets are not assigned any specific order or index value, and they may or may not be distinct from one another. In contrast, an indexed family of sets has a specific order and each set is assigned a unique index value.

3. Can you provide a simple example of an indexed family of sets?

Imagine a set of fruits: apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes. Now, assign each fruit a number: 1 for apples, 2 for oranges, 3 for bananas, and 4 for grapes. This set of fruits can be seen as an indexed family of sets, with the index value being the number assigned to each fruit.

4. How are indexed families of sets used in mathematics?

Indexed families of sets are commonly used in mathematics to represent sequences, functions, and other mathematical structures. They allow for a systematic way of organizing and manipulating sets, making it easier to study and analyze mathematical concepts.

5. Are all indexed families of sets finite?

No, indexed families of sets can be finite or infinite. In a finite indexed family of sets, there is a finite number of sets in the family. In contrast, an infinite indexed family of sets has an infinite number of sets in the family, with each set being assigned a unique index value.