What is an elementary particle?

In summary, a student's eighth grade physics class focused on the Hadron Collider and the study of particles such as atoms, electrons, protons, neutrons, and the standard model. On a test, the student was asked to name elementary particles and included the Higgs Boson in her answer. However, the teacher marked the answer as incorrect and the parent is seeking a definition of "elementary" in relation to particles. An elementary particle is defined as an irreducible representation of the Poincaré group in a Hilbert space with a definite mass, charge, and spin. It is generally accepted that electrons are elementary, while protons and neutrons have substructure and are made up of quarks. The question remains whether
observer1
When my eighth grade daughter was studying physics in her class, I watched a movie with her on the Hadron Collider (" Particle Fever "). We discussed atoms, electrons, protons, neutrons; we discussed orbits and statistics, and then down into the standard model and fermions, leptons, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, on her test, she was asked to name "elementary" particles.

So she wrote something like this: "Most people think electrons, protons and neutrons are elementary, but now we know there are even smaller particles like the Higgs Boson out of which these other particles are made."

Anyway, the teacher marked her zero. And when she tried to explain, the teacher insisted that my daughter did not understand the word "elementary."

So I come to you to ask someone to DEFINE the word ELEMENTARY in elementary particle, so that I can figure out where I mis-educated my daughter. Does that word - in the K12 lexicon - have a specific meaning at the atom-level and not below?

The points on her exam are not an issue -- we let that go. But I need to fix this if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron is an elementary particle. Protons and neutrons have structure, those contain quarks (and gluons).

The Higgs boson is also an elementary particle.

observer1 said:
So she wrote something like this: "Most people think electrons, protons and neutrons are elementary, but now we know there are even smaller particles like the Higgs Boson out of which these other particles are made."

Anyway, the teacher marked her zero. And when she tried to explain, the teacher insisted that my daughter did not understand the word "elementary."
It sounds to me like your daughter knows what the word elementary means, but she doesn't know what elementary particles we know of and how they're all related. Plus she didn't answer the question asked (unless it wasn't just to name some elementary particles).

Elementary particles are particles with no structure. Basically that means that it scatters like a point particle.

What answer to that question is expected in eight grade? Do they learn about quarks, neutrino's, bosons, etc in eight grade?
If she had named electron, neutron and proton as elementary particles, would that have been an acceptable answer in eight grade?

observer1 said:
So I come to you to ask someone to DEFINE the word ELEMENTARY in elementary particle,
Rigorous definition of elementary particle:
"An irreducible representation of the Poincaré group in a Hilbert space".
Probably we have to add: "with a definite mass, charge and spin". But I'm not an expert on this, I ave learned it by heart :smile:

--
lightarrow

observer1 said:
While the Higgs boson is an elementary particle, it is not a part of electrons, protons or neutrons.
And electrons are elementary*, as mentioned before.

*at least there are no indications of any substructure, at a precision of Anomalous_magnetic_dipole_moment#Electron .

Last edited by a moderator:
Samy_A said:
If she had named electron, neutron and proton as elementary particles, would that have been an acceptable answer in eight grade?
I think it's reasonable to teach eight-graders that protons and neutrons are not elementary particles because they're made up of quarks, which are elementary. "Can't be further decomposed, as far as we know" is a perfectly sensible definition of "elementary" at that level.

On the other hand, I'd want to hear the teacher's side of the story before I passed judgement on this particular episode. If the student had responded to "name 'elementary' particles" with a list that included "quark" and "electron" but not "neutron" and "proton", then it might be an easier call.

Related to What is an elementary particle?

What is an elementary particle?

An elementary particle is a fundamental particle that cannot be broken down into smaller components. These particles are the building blocks of matter and cannot be further divided through physical or chemical means.

How many types of elementary particles are there?

There are four known types of elementary particles: quarks, leptons, gauge bosons, and the Higgs boson. Quarks and leptons make up all matter, while gauge bosons are responsible for carrying forces between particles. The Higgs boson is responsible for giving particles mass.

What is the difference between an elementary particle and a subatomic particle?

While both elementary particles and subatomic particles are smaller than atoms, there is a key difference between the two. Elementary particles are the most basic units of matter and cannot be broken down further, while subatomic particles are particles that make up atoms, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

How do scientists study elementary particles?

Scientists study elementary particles through high-energy particle accelerators, which are large machines that accelerate particles to extremely high speeds and collide them together. By studying the particles produced from these collisions, scientists can learn more about their properties and behaviors.

What is the significance of studying elementary particles?

Studying elementary particles helps scientists understand the fundamental laws of nature and the building blocks of the universe. This knowledge can also lead to advancements in technology and medicine, as well as a deeper understanding of the origins of the universe.