What is a generating function (GF) in physics?

In summary, the Wikipedia page on GFs in CM says that they are a bridge between two sets of canonical variables. They generate Q and P. The GFs in E&M solve an equation of motion with a delta function as a solution.
Living_Dog
I am trying to understand CM wrt QFT and found out that I need to understand the HJE. This brought me to reading about all related subjects. The history lesson alone has been awesome. However, now I am reading about the HJE and found the Wikipedia pages lacking as to exactly what is the nature/idea behind/role of GF's in physics.

[1] GF's in CM
Wikipedia.com says: "Generating functions which arise in Hamiltonian mechanics are quite different from generating functions in mathematics. In the case of physics, generating functions act as a bridge between two sets of canonical variables when performing canonical transformation."

So F(q,P,t) => Q and p can be determined from this F? So F "generates" Q and p??

[2] GF's in E&M:
I recall that there is an equation of motion in E&M which has a delta function as a "generating function" solution.

NOTE: I don't need the physics - I need the _idea_ of what a GF is ... and now that I think about it - are they related?

Thanks in advance.

-LD

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get the solution of a partial differential equation with a inhomogeneous term ,we introduce the delta function on the right side of the equation.The corresponding solution is called Green function.I don,t think GF's in E&M has some relations with GF's in CM.The GF's in CM only helps us link the old canonical variables with the new canonical variables during the transformation.

Dyson said:
To get the solution of a partial differential equation with a inhomogeneous term ,we introduce the delta function on the right side of the equation.The corresponding solution is called Green function.I don,t think GF's in E&M has some relations with GF's in CM.

D'OH! You are right sir! - my bad ... and apologies.

Dyson said:
The GF's in CM only helps us link the old canonical variables with the new canonical variables during the transformation.

So that's all the four types of generating functions do - is relate the old canonical coordinates to the new ones!

Thanks for the awesome help! I can now move on in my studies.

-LD

It's my pleasure!

Related to What is a generating function (GF) in physics?

What is a generating function (GF) in physics?

A generating function in physics is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of a physical system. It is a function that encodes information about the system's dynamics and can be used to calculate various properties of the system.

How is a generating function different from other mathematical functions?

A generating function differs from other mathematical functions in that it is not necessarily a function of a single variable. It can have multiple variables that represent different physical quantities, and it is often used in systems with many degrees of freedom.

What are the applications of generating functions in physics?

Generating functions have various applications in physics, including in classical mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. They can be used to solve problems involving dynamical systems, calculate thermodynamic quantities, and derive equations of motion, among other things.

How are generating functions used in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, generating functions are used to describe the motion of particles or systems with many degrees of freedom. They can be used to transform between different coordinate systems and find conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum.

Are generating functions only used in theoretical physics?

No, generating functions are used in both theoretical and experimental physics. In theoretical physics, they are used to derive equations and calculate properties of physical systems. In experimental physics, they can be used to analyze and interpret data from experiments.